Saturday, February 28, 2009

Pizza Party

My parents, sister, and I were invited to John's parents house for a pizza party. My sister didn't want to go because she claimed she had too much homework. I figured they'd order a half dozen pizzas from Papa Johns or something, then we'd sit around and snack on pizza all evening.

John wasn't there, but that was ok. His sister, V, was there. When we arrived John's mom was in the kitchen cooking hamburger. I was like oh... so we're early and she hasn't got around to making the pizza. I knew that his mom used to manage the Shakeys, and that is actually how my mom and her met years ago. It wasn't until John and I were in 1st grade together that we realized our mom's knew each other for a lot longer. I thought we were having a hamburger pizza, but then John's mom began carting ingredients outside and my dad helped. I thought it was just salad and dessert since I saw a lot of that on the kitchen counter. Again, no. There was salad and dessert, but we were carting toppings out to cook on the barbecue. EVERYONE WAS MAKING THEIR OWN PIZZA ON THE BARBECUE. There were 15 of us at the party and we made 15 pizzas.

John's dad had me go first. I was nervous. Was I making my own pizza, one for everyone, or what? Why me? Well, I went. He told me how to roll the dough. I have never made a round pizza- no joke- I've posted a pic of my pizza before. It is always square. He showed me how you make a circle, then I rolled the dough out with my hands. When it was ready I chose from the 10 or so toppings- onions, mozzarella cheese, hamburger, turkey breast meat, cashews, bell peppers, mushrooms, parmesan, pepperoni, tomatoes, and a bunch of other stuff. I loaded mine with onions, hamburger, bell peppers, mushroms, and pepperoni. It only took 10 minutes on the barbecue. I was amazed that John's dad did this because I knew it could be done, but I had never seen it in person on a backyard barbecue. John's mom, dad, and I worked at getting the pizza onto the barbecue. John's dad had me monitor how the pizza was doing, then called me over 2-3 times and we peaked and debated whether or not it was done. Each time he said just a minute longer. Once my pizza was done I was given the pizza slicer and cut up my pizza. I had a slice and John's dad announced the first pizza came out. A couple people like my mom and the guy sitting next to me tried it. He announced he hadn't died. Everyone did something a little different on their pizza. My mom did all meat, cashews, and mushrooms. One lady did cheese and olive oil. We only had about 2 pizzas left when we were all done eating believe it or not. I was amazed how more dough just kept popping up and a new person was up making a pizza. We joked a couple times we should do a dessert pizza with a cinnamon crust, brownies, and stuff like that. John's mom put garlic in the dough, though, so that wouldn't have been good. We spent about 2 hours talking and making pizzas. There were 3 on the bbq at once.

Once we were done making our pizza we broke into the dessert. Everyone was eyeing the big cheesecake my dad made. He made one at Christmas with family that went over really well, and this one did too. Nobody believed it was just the basic jello cheesecake mix you buy in the store with extra vanilla and a few other things added. My dad was writing down the recipe for all the women. John's dad broke out the card deck and we played a game called "KILLER." There were 15 of us, so we used 15 cards from the deck and one of them had to be an Ace of Spades. The person who drew the ace of spades was the killer and had to kill people by winking at them. The trick was to not let anyone catch you being winked at. It was funny- the first game took 45 minutes because it took about 20 minutes before someone was winked at. We were all sitting around in a circle talking about random things, looking around. Finally John's mom was winked at and said she was killed. Everyone thought my dad was the killer because of all of his eye contact. It was John's mom's brother. The second game my mom was the killer, though one of the women thought it was me. Nope- it was my mom and someone guessed it was her because everyone sitting at the table across from her had been winked at. My mom did it well- I didn't think it was her. The final game everyone thought my dad was again the killer, or me. It was the guy across from me. He winked at me 3 times and I didn't realize it until the 3rd time. I said I was killed and everyone laughed because they thought I was the killer. The guy across from me just got everyone at his table and so that's why. This was the guy who was talking nostop in all the games. I am glad I was never the killer because it would have been so obvious.

It was 9:30 when everyone started to leave, so we got ready too. We stayed around another 30 minutes talking about work, my parent's cooking, and a house John's mom showed us this summer that was so strange.

Fun night overall.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds as though you are having a great time lately! Glad that things are going so well, and it's refreshing to hear about such a great "normal" affair like a family/neighborhood outing!

Take care and keep us posted on this series of how to have fun; some of us forget all too often how fun life is.

-C

Anonymous said...

Post your dad's cheese cake recipe.

Anonymous said...

Did you take pics with your I-phone? I would've. If i had one.