Monday, November 2, 2009

My teacher's agenda

In response to my last post after taking time to think about what the teacher was asking (me to come out) and what I was writing about I had serious issues. Why? It is wrong to make someone come out when they aren't comfortable. A teacher is supposed to foster a positive learning environment where everyone feels comfortable. It is not essential to my presentation- contrary to what my teacher says I can be convincing even if I am not gay. It is about building a good case and evidence- an important skill that comes from good research. I can use personal experiences and things I have seen inside the classroom- that is firsthand experience. I can get around it without having to come out. The teacher told me 20-30% of my paper/presentation needs to be firsthand evidence, and I can come up with that without coming out.

Last but not least, perhaps the most important reason. My teacher has an agenda- after viewing her website after receiving a couple rather rude emails from her I realized she is pushing an agenda. She is promoting her hypnosis business. She had fliers tonight that stated that. She believes in hypnosis for gays- she must be one who doesn't believe that it is something you are born with or biological factors. So that's something... she basically said coming out is not a big deal...

Anyways, she talked to me tonight and I told her that I will do it this way, I plan to mention this, I have the research, my argument will make sense, and if I'm graded solely on that there will be no problems. She seemed to somewhat agree.

I do plan to alert the administration there may be some issues with the grading. I also plan to write out in an e-mail to this professor that if I am outed during my presentation she can expect that I will be alerting administration.

You do not piss me off.

Oh, and my mom asked how my paper was coming along. I told her "fine if you don't ask about what the teacher said, and her agenda." She is puzzled, but I think she is suspecting. I also said "it's fine, but if we have an issue, administration will be finding out," and haven't elaborated. I hate doing that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On another note I wanted to say I enjoyed grabbing lunch and catching up again with James over at Just Me. I enjoyed your company, buddy. Great guy, check him out.

1 comment:

Aek said...

I hope your paper will be judged fairly on merit alone. If I were you, I'd totally alert the administration if it came to that.

I'm glad you had a good lunch with James. :-)