Sunday, November 22, 2009

New TV

The Guy and I postponed our hanging out so he could take Josh to lunch for his birthday since Josh called him yesterday morning. I am glad we did in that it was not rushed and there was plenty of time to just hang out.

I ended up going to a party my friend John's dad that John and his mom threw. John was called into work- in Central Cali- so he took off before the party started, but my parents had seen him and his mom at Costco earlier in the day. Fun party. We ate, watched Lingerie football, which I had to act interested in, talked, played poker (again, I loathe that), did shots, and one of the guys there played guitar and we sang along- we sang "Wake Up Little Suzie," by the Everly Brothers; "Puff the Magic Dragon," by Peter Paul and Mary; "American Pie," Don McLean; "House of the Rising Sun," The Animals; "Burnadette," by the 4 Tops; "Kryptonite," by 3 Doors Down; "White Rabbit," Jeferson Starship, and "Me and Bobby McGee" by Janis Joplin. We stuck to the oldies since that's what everyone knew. It was hilarious. Lots of good trivia. I LOVE musical trivia. Do you know who wrote "Me and Bobby McGee," the story behind "White Rabbit, or Puff? Oh, and while my parents were talking politics and religion with the guy who did all of the singing I was taking shots with John's dad of Amaretto. That's some dang good stuff- so smooth, so tasty, and smells good. Disaronno is my new best friend... kinda...






Like did you know the house of a rising sun is about a brothel in New Orleans?

So The Guy told me yesterday to call him when I woke up and I sat my alarm for 7:47, but when I got home at 12:30 last night it was hard to get up then. I managed and called him. He said we were going to take the dogs to the dog park, but he called me as he was on the way back because they just couldn't wait. He said he was sorry for missing me and that he isn't going to miss anything else I do, so I give him blow by blow details about me getting ready. I tell him, "I'm putting on my boxer briefs, putting on my pants, leaning over in the sink to do my hair." The call drops shortly after. I call him on my way and tell him all he'd missed. I waited 4 minutes for a train. I was sitting in the car with the heat on.

We were still doing breakfast. I was at his house by 8:40 and he was chatting on facebook, we were talking about computers, and stuff like that. He wanted to try and put the Mozilla OS onto a Netbook, so we were headed to Best Buy it turns out. We debate about breakfast- go out to a cafe, go to a pancake house, Sausage McMuffins with egg, or The Guy would cook. We were about to do Mickey D's, but then THe Guy decided we'd make eggs and carnitas. I crack the 8 eggs and he cooks the carnitas meat and eggs together. It was really good and I was able to stomach the eggs. Nothing against eggs, but my stomach is always so sour in the morning it is hard for me to stomach so many things. I didn't each much, but it was delicious.

We then get in the car, head to Best Buy, and The Guy tells me about the boy he went to see from Wisconsin. He is coming out the first few days in December. We went into Best Buy, which was already open, which was surprising since it wasn't 10a.m. yet. We are helped by a nice young girl and she tells about the Netbooks with 3g, but none of them will work with the OS. We look at some of the bigger laptops, but Best Buy doesn't have any of them in stock. Dang.

So we then walk over to the TVs since THe Guy was there I was going to show him the ones that are on sale at Best Buy on Black Friday and get his opinion. He instead showed me what he liked. One was the wireless peripheral TV, then the new Samsung 8000s came into the conversation. These aren't LCD, but LED TV. They were BEAUTIFUL!!! One was nearly $500 off. The salesman did the talking, The Guy and I listened. He asked what I thought. I said "um, it's nice, it's a good deal," but didn't say much more. He asked if he should get it. He said if Jesus was shining down on him he would. We sat and prayed that Jesus would come through and they would have one in the back. In the meantime he was asking what he'd do with his old TV. I told him I'd take it. He asked if I was serious. I told him that I'd been looking- didn't he remember? He said it was a deal if I'd buy the wall mount for the TV that was $250. I said it was a done deal. He asked because he was having a hard time putting down the money for the TV when he didn't really have it and was trying to save it. I hope he didn't think I was pressuring him. I wasn't and hope he didn't think I was. Jesus was shining down on us and the TV was in stock. I was willing to pay more for the TV- The Guy could easily get $500+ for it, I told him I'd do $300 with tax, etc., but no. We pull the car up, unbox it, and load. It just fits.

We drive home, carry the TV in, then immediately take the old one down, put the new one in its place, then unscrew the mount that was there. The Guy and I mark and set up the new TV mount and screw it into the drywall- not the right way, but we did it somewhat right. Jeff shows up in the meantime, The Guy had tried to call him a couple times. Jeff, The Guy, and I plop down on the bed and watch Star Trek. He shows Jeff what Star Trek and another show looks like, and you could not tell they were not HD. They looked incredible. I can honestly say that was the best TV I've ever seen. The Guy sits in the middle of the bed and we watch most of Star Trek. The Guy says a little while later we didn't put the TV in right. Jeff somehow figured out how the dry wall brackets were supposed to work and clamp, so The Guy says we should probably try to fix it. He had joked it'd be bad if the TV fell out of the wall. It was already trying to apparently. We spend probably the next hour taking everything down, putting the things in right, and doing a little more TV watching. Jeff gets a call, goes in the office, and The Guy and I sit on the bed and watch.

Jeff takes off about 3. The Guy and I clean the TV up, put it in my car, and got the mount for it. The Guy had never even opened the box for the stand. We chat about random things while hanging around. I told him about me saying a few things around Linda that I think made her mad enough at me she'll stay away. I said the drinking word. I told him about going to the party at my coworkers on Friday night. I told him about the hugging thing. He thinks Eddy is gay. He tells me about a good conversation with Josh and that he saw that military guy Ben last night (a guy he was seeing about a year ago) who called him out of the blue. I leave about 4:15 because The Guy wants to take a nap. I hug and thank him, and we agree to call each other later this week.

So I'm here at home trying to set up the TV. The Guy couldn't find the remote, so I tried my universal Direct TV. It didn't work out, and so I'll get one tomorrow. I took it upon myself to throw out all the universal remotes when we got a DVR in the living room. We would lose those things so easily, then find them, and lose them again. We've yet to lose the remote in the living room yet, so there was no use for the universal deals. I do love the TV, although it makes my room feel more crowded and is probably WAAAAAAAAY too big for the room

2 comments:

Crap Newsman said...

LED TVs hasn't even took off yet Laser TVs will soon render them obsolete.

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently discussing about how technology has become so integrated in our day to day lives. Reading this post makes me think back to that discussion we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as the price of memory decreases, the possibility of copying our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I dream about every once in a while.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.zoomshare.com/2.shtml]R4 SDHC[/url] DS Ting2)