Monday, November 22, 2010

Some student teaching thoughts

I've been pretty vague about my student teaching experiences. Honestly I could not ask for better experiences. The 3 teachers I've had are polar opposites. It has allowed me to grow and has allowed me freedom. I have had a blast- if only I were getting paid!

Here's some random things I've learned/realized/find amusing:
- The kids really like me
- I was worried about a balance between being hated and liked
- It is really exciting to see how the kids respond to me
- I love the power I hold
- I like building a good rapport with the teachers I'm working with
- I question whether I'm too strict/too easy with grades- still finding my balance
- I love the freedom that I have had in both of my student teaching positions. This current one allows me to go to lunch with my tutor friends like Darla and Eddy.
- I love that both of my teachers are very laid back
- I love that I have the male football coach and athletic, cheerleader type as master teachers
- One means business in his class and the other is very lovey dovey, we'll get through this together
- I enjoy being close to home in my current position.
- I like that I have actually had the opportunity to plan and bring in my own ideas in my current position.
- I had days where I felt very incompetent with Linda mainly because her thinking/planning was so different than other teachers. It altered my thinking, but allowed me to grow and see how she does it. I have some good ideas.
- Linda really taught me how to engage the students
- The kids genuinely seem to want to please me
- Linda also taught me to create activities that were hands on for the students
- Middle schoolers need to be controlled much more than high schoolers. I have to be controlling and dictating, which is taxing on me physically
- I can be much more relaxed with high schoolers, which I like
- I would not be as relaxed as my cheerleader master teacher, but I would be more relaxed than at middle school
- I tend to think I'll end up at a high school, but would be content at a middle school
- I hate grading
- I am thankful that both of my master teachers have been really cool about dividing up the grading
- I want a TA if I have high schoolers.
- I need my own class already, please.

3 comments:

Aek said...

:-D

Sounds like teaching's really for you. Gotta have more great teachers around, that's for sure.

Btw, how can you have 3 polar opposites? By definition, aren't poles supposed to only come in pairs? o_O

fan of casey said...

Mike: Sounds like you are enjoying things so far, that makes for a satisfying career, so it seems like this is a good choice for you. Have you had much dealings with administration and especially meddling parents? That I would imagine could get frustrating.

SCalRF said...

Great to hear you've had a good experience!