Thursday, November 25, 2010

Toda la drama Thanksgiving Edición

I'm home safe and sound from Orlando. I had such a wonderful time! I will definitely debrief about Orlando and post some pics, but let's talk about Thanksgiving.

Dinner at my aunt's sister's daughter's house. One of those warped family relations... lol.

2 cousins, both sisters, were arguing nonstop as they were preparing dinner about where this was, how to arrange this, what to do with that, and it got pretty heated. Every sentence ended in the word bitch I'm pretty sure. 10 minutes later they were best friends.

As we sat down to dinner all was well.

After dinner another cousin, one of the cousins mentioned above's daughters ran into a tree with her mom's monster SUV and nearly took out another cousin's car. This girl just got her license 2 months ago and thought she could weave around parked cars. Thankfully I was smart and parked on the other side so my mom's new car was safe. There was just a ding to bumper of the SUV and the tree was a small pine that was a total loss. The pine tree had about a 3'' circumference trunk. Another cousin, a police officer, ran out after her, flagged her down, and took the keys away as she tried backing down the street because she thought it was safer than driving forwards. Her mom just screamed and said that she can get 1 break since she's only had her license 2 months.

Lots of drama over how to do Christmas. Traditionally there are about 30 of us and everyone gets a gift from everyone, so there was some controversy over whether to continue that with the economy. It was about half and half, lots of yelling. In the end we're going to try Secret Santa and see how that goes. Lots of ruffled feathers STILL. I got the hardest person to shop for, by the way, one of the boys who I may have a 3-4 line conversation with every Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. My mom got the easiest person to buy for.

Oh, and my sister's Imaginary Boytoy's little cousin died. Sister got a call shortly after we finished eating and she ran out of the main room with her eyes filled of tears bawling. She was very defensive and bitchy the rest of the night. I never saw her take the call or anything. All I know is that everyone had to calm her mass hysterics. They did that for a few minutes and then just kind of let my sister be. Thank goodness. And you know what, it pissed me off more than anything. She doesn't shed a tear when anyone else dies/is hurt, and suddenly such a distant person, and the world is going to end? Please... Oh, and then about 30 minutes before we took off the boy was alive, suddenly living, yet had a reaction to something at dinner? Ok...

Oh, and I had the best time with my Cousin M, she was hilarious. After the sister and her boyfriend's cousin incident she said, "Mike, why doesn't your sister ever bring her boyfriend, she always talks about him, we need to meet him." I said, "I know, you guys should, in fact I should get to too." She laughed, and I said I call him the Imaginary Boytoy because she never goes out with him, she stays at home all the time. She laughed and told me how hilarious that was. I've only seen my sister and her boyfriend once...

But overall it was really fun sitting around talking. The crazy part is after each incident everything went back to being completely normal. Everyone was friends. Whatever had happened had been forgotten. There were 25 of us at the start of dinner, but then there were 34 people by a couple hours after dinner when random friends of the family trickle in who don't have family and stuff like that.

It was COLD here- 60 degrees for a change- but windy. The windy part I could have lived without, but it kept most of us indoors. It was really nice to just sit around and go from group to group chatting with everyone since it was too cold to go outside

4 comments:

fan of casey said...

Mike: Welcome back! Sounds like a typical thanksgiving gathering with strange family dynamics (don't worry, most families have them) altho you always seems to have special drama.

We only had 14 and it was a lot of work making so much of the food. It's past midnight now and I was done cleaning up and putting stuff away just only an hour ago. No family troubles, I played Lego with the little kiddies.

Your secret santa idea should simplify holiday shopping altho you'll get less presents. Is there like a dollar limit or minimum? Perhaps to make up for getting less stuff, you can gift yourself something extra special with the money you are saving from not having to buy for 30 people.

Diary of a Mad Latino Man said...

Glad you had an awesome time in Orlando!

Aek said...

Hehe, sounds eventful. Happy belated Thanksgiving. :-)

Anonymous said...

Your sister probably has borderline personality disorder. If so you should cut ties with her at some point, bpd people only cause the kind of irrational drama you describe. It never stops.