Friday, July 8, 2011

Radio thoughts

KOLA 99.9
They continue to expand their playlist, but so many of the songs sound so strange. Are they classics that you would find hanging on a shelf? I seem to think not. The hits they are trying to play should be trashed. I think they should mimic KRTH while still differentiating themselves. KRTH does an acceptable mix of the 60s (Beach Boys, Supremes, Temptations, Frankie Valli and the 4 Seasons, and more. KOLA should follow that, but could throw in an occasional Bangles, Abba, Juice Newton, Blondie, or some other artist.

KOST 103.5
Loved the 80s weekend for the 4th of July. I heard Rick Springfield, Juice Newton, The Eurythmics, Tracy Chapman, and BonJovi in a row.I like the theme weekend and don't recall KOST doing one recently.

100.3 THE SOUND
I like the sound of Southern California- it is mostly classic hits with a few surprises mixed in. They need to continue to do the surprises. I do like the special features like album sides Thursday and Your Turn on Sunday nights where they allow a listener to be a guest DJ and play what they want.

1043 MYFM
In the car with my mom the other day she said this was probably the best station as of recently on her radio dial because KOLA has gotten so bad. She even knew who Fergie and Train were and asked if I liked them when I was in the process of turning them. That blew me away...

99.1 KGGI and 98.7 STAR
Where the hell have your traffic reports gone in the afternoon?

5 comments:

SCalRF said...

I really like The Sound as well. It's like Jack FM but with much more variety. Though I do like Jack as well, it has grown on me (though initially I was disappointed when it took over for Arrow). KROQ and KLOS are my other favs.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mike said...

@ B: Woo! Another So Cal radio guy! Yay for remembering Arrow 93! I liked Arrow better than I like JACK. Jack gets redundant after a while. I recently discovered KLOS. My family used to joke KLOS should be KLOST, and was meant to be lost, but I've discovered many of the classic hits most of the other stations play are played on there. I don't have enough room for a preset for KROQ :(.

My presets look like this:
KOLA 99.9 classics
KEARTH 101 oldies/classics
KBIG 104
93-1 JACK FM
KOST 103.5
HOT 92.3
102.7 KIIS
GO COUNTRY 105.1
STAR 987
99.1 KGGI
KFROG 95.1
100.3 THE SOUND
KNX 1070
KFWB 980
KFI 640
90.7 NPR
LATINO 96.3
AMP Radio 97.1

I find myself going to 95.1 and switching up to KLOS when I remember.

Mike said...

@ B: Woo! Another So Cal radio guy! Yay for remembering Arrow 93! I liked Arrow better than I like JACK. Jack gets redundant after a while. I recently discovered KLOS. My family used to joke KLOS should be KLOST, and was meant to be lost, but I've discovered many of the classic hits most of the other stations play are played on there. I don't have enough room for a preset for KROQ :(.

My presets look like this:
KOLA 99.9 classics
KEARTH 101 oldies/classics
KBIG 104
93-1 JACK FM
KOST 103.5
HOT 92.3
102.7 KIIS
GO COUNTRY 105.1
STAR 987
99.1 KGGI
KFROG 95.1
100.3 THE SOUND
KNX 1070
KFWB 980
KFI 640
90.7 NPR
LATINO 96.3
AMP Radio 97.1

I find myself going to 95.1 and switching up to KLOS when I remember.