Saturday, July 2, 2011

To take my dream job or not

TO TAKE THE JOB

- Principal EXTREMELY friendly
- Willing to support me in any way – AND THIS IS HARD TO COME BY IN MOST PLACES
- Freedom to teach classes I want (an elective or 2, drama, journalism, etc.)
- Dream job – just not dream location
- Principal is willing to pay for training for programs I am interested in teaching/working with
- My super awesome boyfriend will come with me
- A chance to get closer and move deeper into a relationship with him
- More equity in the relationship as I could contribute/contributing toward household expenses
- Actually leave my comfort zone
- Away from family drama
- Close enough to home that I could fly home or drive on long weekends/daytrip
- Principal is gay friendly
- ~25 average class size
- small high school – about 30 teachers
- relatively new school
- It could be temporary and most likely would be thanks to pink slips

TO NOT TAKE THE JOB

- Something is bound to come up here in SoCal
- Probably less freedom to teach what I want
- May not be moving in as quickly with bf
- Moving in is still in our future
- Leaving my family would be incredibly tough
- Leaving my support system- friends- that I value so much and work so hard to maintain because I can go to these people for ANYTHING (The Guy, Gonzo, Darla, Darla’s cousin, Jack Off Buddy). This just kills me.
- Would I have the gay tolerance at any school? No.
- Pay is worse up there (~$41k vs. $45k in my area) and it would take about 4 years to get up to $45k
- Lousy health benefits ($900+ a month for 2 medical options)
- Housing more
- Have to pay rent, so save less $
- Would I get stuck up there?
- How easy would it be to find a position and move back?
- What if my boyfriend and I don’t work out? Am I stuck with my name on a house or apt that I might not necessarily want?
- The fear of starting my life over and finding new support systems
- How gay friendly is the area?
- It could be temporary and most likely would be thanks to pink slips

6 comments:

Aek said...

It looks like your reasons to take the job are more grounded in the "now" whereas your reasons to not take the job are more possibilities that could happen in the future. Research the area that job's located a bit more and just get a feel for it.

You can't forsake the now with the fears of a bad future that may not be.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
fan of casey said...

Mike: The dilemma -- having to choose between known vs. unknown outcomes is one of the most difficult choices you have to make. Clearly you should weigh the known factors higher because the unknowns are possibilities, and may not happen.

Another factor -- are you the kind of person who chooses to do something because of the positives because you have an optimistic outlook? Or are you the type that shys away because of the negatives? Do you have more regret for having done something and not having it work out? Or do you dwell on regrets for being too cautious and not taking action?

Finally, while your list is pretty good, it's still incomplete -- some of your pro have cons and vice versa you did not list.

Also might I suggest you categorize the pro and cons into something that can help you decide. Right now there's no priorities and the list just overwhelms you. Maybe some thing along these categories: 1) Career development, 2) Relationship with BF, 3) Family & friends, 4) Financial, 5) Etc. Maybe by doing this a pattern will emerge that shows where the strongest pros are, the strongest cons are, which ones might be washes.

Anyway, that's how my mind plays 20 questions when it comes to big decisions.

Bruce said...

Mikey, here's my 2 cents. Go for it!! You can always come back to SoCal, it will always be here. It's a great career move, those don't come along often. $4k sounds like a lot but spread over 12 months & taking out taxes it's not a big difference. Home is wherever you make it & you love to see new things & places so I think you would enjoy a change of scenery. You're young & free so make the most of it while you still can.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

/