Saturday, December 22, 2007

Myspace: paranoia and evils

I was helping my dad today search for information on a friend of the family's kid. My dad said he'd look online and see if he could find anything to help them out.

I figured the best source for what we were looking for would be myspace since everyone nowadays has a myspace and a lot of people put pretty personal information on their myspaces, which is why I figured that'd be the best route to go.

I was a little hesistant to put my dad on myspace because he may be looking for my account in the future, which is one of my paranoias. Though I don't have anything to hide, I'm very hard to find on myspace just because I like the anonymity. I don't like the idea of my dad checking up on me because I figure I'm pretty trustworthy and I don't like the idea of my parents snooping.

Anyways, myspace was the perfect place to go and I found the 2 people I needed. First comment from my dad was "I guess you can find anything on myspace." The second thing he said was, "have you read Mr. X's profile?" Mr. X was a friend of the person we were searching for. I said no, I was just helping you find what you wanted. He said well, look at this. I sat down next to him at his computer and he was down at the personal information on myspace where sexual orientation is listed. He said "I'm finding out a lot about Mr. X." He had me read the comments on Mr. X's page. Then he went back to the orientation and kept rolling over that with the mouse. He said I figure Mr. X has a lot of problems with his parents and it is because of this. He is looking at me and smiling. Then he puts his arm on my shoulder, which is totally out of character for my dad except when he is trying to be comforting. The last time I remember my dad putting his hand on my shoulder like this was a couple years back when we were at some lecture where a friend of his was speaking and one of the speaker talked about the possibility of there being a gay gene. He did the same thing to me then. My dad is not a touchy, feely person who would usually do this, so that bothered me and sent a chill through me. Anyways, while sitting there my is smiling the whole time and pointing this out this information on Mr. X's myspace to me.

This just really makes me think my dad knows. Why would the fact that Mr. X is gay be of any importance to me otherwise? We weren't even searching for Mr. X. It really wasn't relevant and it was obvious that Mr. X is gay upon meeting him. We have met Mr. X on 3 or 4 occasions and it was obvious to me. Mr. X has his right ear pierced, he wears tight leather pants, he has a rainbow license plate frame on his car.

1 comment:

Mikey said...

Oh, I think he definitely knows. And he's giving you an opportunity to say something to him about it. I don't think he would give such a big opening if he wasn't going to be okay with it. If he wasn't okay with it, he would avoid it.