Monday, December 31, 2007

2007 Wrap-up - WISHING YOU ALL THE BEST IN 2008

2007 has been an incredible year for me. I was hoping it would be in comparison with 2006. Without going into too many details 2006 was full of family drama that I found myself in the middle of because I was able to handle it since I'm close to home all day. 2006 was full of disappointments with my grandma and aunt in Nor Cal. I can honestly say 2006 was one of the worst years I've had and 2007 more than made up for it.

2007 found me branching out in many ways- being more social, wanting to meet more people, exploring my interests in guys, and trying harder academically.

I'm very proud of my GPA. My overall GPA went up by .25 and I took some very challenging classes, especially at the beginning of 2007. I found myself channeling and focusing in on school to compensate for other areas of my life that weren't going so well. The work paid off and things did improve in other areas. This past quarter I had a near perfect GPA. I did receive straight A's, but at my wonderful (note the sarcasm) institution of higher learning, you get 3.67 points for an A-, instead of 4. I did manage to get a 3.89, so I won't complain.

I continue to be able to juggle home life- spending time with the family, helping out around the house, and dealing with all of the problems with my aunt and grandma with working part time (up to 18 hours a week), going to school full time, and interning 10 hours a week. My internship is now over and it was an enjoyable experience. I did get an awesome letter of recommendation out of it. I thought that I would be constantly busy, constantly on the go, no time for The Guy, or friends this past quarter, but that was far from the case. I was always busy, but I was able to make time for The Guy and friends. The following quarters will prove to be less intense, but I'm proud to say I was able to juggle all of this.

I found things going better family-wise in 2007. I continued to get along with my parents for the mostpart, despite the fact I've hidden so much from them in this past year. They continue to trust me and support me (both emotionally and financially), so that is a good thing. I continue to have their respect. We have our disagreements, but overall things are going well with them. I do worry that my parents will found out about me, which I haven't had to worry about in the past.

Socially, I have branched out and tried to meet more people at my college. I did accomplish that, but I still haven't met friends that I'd want to hang out with outside of school. I have developed some really great friendships this year, like with The Guy. I have also became closer to friends like Gonzo, who I felt comfortable enough to come out to. Since coming out we're much closer and I don't feel as bound lying to a good friend. I began 2007 very depressed and lonely and was determined to make that change.

Work was a lot of fun this year. I love working at the high school, working with the kids, working with the freshmen classes especially (crazy, I know). I have a fan club in the junior class that every time I walk in the room they yell out "MIKE!" I certainly feel loved. I am a lead tutor along with Gonzo, so we have seniority and so that has its perks. I have a new boss and I can do no wrong in her eyes. I have become closer to coworkers D and N. I'm not sure how much longer I will be around there- I may work just 1 day a week at the high school. I did not get a pay raise this year, despite the fact I have been at the high school for 3 years. The damn school board would not approve a $2.50-$5.00 per hour raise depending on how much college you have completed and seniority, which has caused me to look at other options. I have been hired to substitute, which pays almost triple what I make in a day at the high school. It will mean a longer commute to work, but I am ready for a change, the adventure, and the challenge.

I continue to have a don't mess with me attitude when it comes to things at work, dealing with my aunt, and stuff like that. It has made me stronger.

I did a lot of things I never expected I would do in 2007 that constitute me branching out. I posted ads on craigslist and met up with a kid from my college and met The Guy through craigslist. This took a lot of guts on my part, but I'm proud to say I did it. I feel kind of dirty saying that I did resort to craigslist, but oh well. I really was lonely and I wanted to explore men. I wasn't going to let myself slip that low and hook up with any guy, because that's not how I am. I was planning on playing it safe and I did. I lost my virginity- never thought that would happen so soon. I really don't regret that, which I find a little surprising, but I credit that to I met someone who I was comfortable with.

I got in shape at the gym- and am proud of the results. I never thought that going to the gym would give me a lot more confidence. I actually lost 3 inches off of my waist. I was not fat to begin with, in fact far from that- now I'm simply more toned.


I met a bunch of awesome bloggers and readers who are in the same position as I am, which has been awesome and a relief to know I wasn't the only guy going through this, which I think just encouraged me even further to come out. I've enjoyed the support, being able to bounce ideas off you guys, talk about random things, and overall just getting to know each other. It has been fun and I enjoy chatting with you guys. I know that it was a big help to be able to have K and Kelly to talk to/text at various times when I tried to come out to Gonzo but didn't have the courage and needed the extra push and encouragement. Thanks guys! It was awesome being able to meet Dan during my stopover in OKC this summer . It was awesome to meet him face to face and put a face to the blog, but also talk to a guy from the same sort of upbringing, etc. It was fun meeting Kelly at Chevys and Yardhouse for dinner. I enjoyed getting to also meet JR and Hamilton in November when all of us LA bloggers took on the OC Performing Arts Center and saw "Jersey Boys."

Here's to another great year in 2008 and making more strides to be more social and come out!

HAPPY 2008 GUYS!!!

3 comments:

Aek said...

Happy 2008 to you too!! It'll be a good one I'm sure.

B said...

wishing you the best in 2008!

Creative Thinker said...

I sure have enjoyed reading your blog this year. You are right --this has been a landmark year in a lot of ways and I think we are better off because of it. I hope you have the best 2008!!