Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Remington Steel and a sprained ankle

Lots of ground to cover...

Christmas Eve

Chatted with The Guy on yahoo about 8:30p.m. Christmas Eve. Finally at 9 he says I should come hang out if I could sneak away. I could- my dad was on the phone with an army friend, my mom was crocheting, my sister was doing whatever sisters do. Drove over to his place, brought the ice cream that I was told never to bring because I was in the Christmas spirit. We ate the ice cream and then went to his bedroom to watch Remington Steel. We watched 2 episodes. He fell asleep during the second. I did also. It was 12:30a.m. when I left and I got home at 1:00a.m. It was great to "wake up" from my tired state and wish him Merry Christmas. We said Merry Christmas to each other and he waved goodbye with his now injured foot.

It was kind of hard to pull away from the family on Christmas Eve because afterall it was 9p.m. I told my parents that I was going out with my friends Mike and Steve. I felt like a Remington Steele in a way where little is known about him... my parents know little about me and my whereabouts... it is always lies... haha.

I took The Guy's Christmas gift over with every intention on giving it to him, since he had given me mine the night before. I left it in the car however since it was dark out and I didn't see it.

Christmas Day
Woke up and opened up gifts. This was the first time we have EVER opened up Christmas gifts on Christmas as I said in my previous post. My mom wanted to wait so Christmas wouldn't seem like any other day. At the time on Christmas Eve, we hadn't been invited to my aunt's house. They forgot to invite us.

I get a call at 10:30a.m. as we're about to open up presents and my cousin is apologizing for forgetting to invite us and asking if we are free and interested in coming. We said yes.

My family exchanged gifts. I loved the gifts I picked for everyone. I really love giving gifts and getting everyone something they won't expect. I got a lot of clothes. No Macbook Pro. Soon though!

The best gift I gave yesterday was to my aunt. It was a big hit. It was all 1950s candy- a lot of the candy you can't find anymore. I saw this on Unwrapped on Food Network and knew it was something she'd like. She opened the box, chuckled, then showed her sister, then my cousin K came over and looked and talked about her favorites, how she had seen that on Food Network also, etc. etc. Then my uncle came over and got a kick out of it. Then all of my other cousins were over soon enough checking it out.

It was so great to see all of my dad's sister-in-law's family. I just love them all. We ate and ate- prime rib, cupcakes, ham, cupcakes, mashed potatoes, cupcakes, 7 layer bean dip, and more cupcakes. My cousin K made the most delicious strawberry cupcakes with vanilla chips and vanilla icing on top. I must have had 10 cupcakes. I need to gain weight through according to one of my aunts who said that I looked emaciated. They only see me 3-4 times a year and always tell me I look like I'm growing and that I'm too skinny. I have just been working out.

Played touch football with all of the little kids, my uncle, and 2 of my cousin's husbands. It was my uncle, one of my cousin's husband's and his kid, my sister, and me on one team and everyone else on the other. My team was certainly better, but we didn't score until the last quarter. We scored twice then, making the score 2-2. It was a tie and the game will be continued at Easter. My team would have won if my little cousin wasn't captain and my sister had listened when she was told to run toward the fire hydrant and took off in the other direction and was tackled by a cousin's husband.

Went home and chatted with The Guy. He had a good Christmas with his family, however he was sad that he couldn't walk. We chatted and he said he thought he sprained his ankle while out with his dog. He was running, playing with his dog, tripped over a pine cone and his foot rolled over it.

Post-Christmas Day (thanks JR for that phrasing)
I woke up at 7:30 to the light shining brightly in my bedroom. I was determined to lay in bed, watch TV, and stay under the nice warm blankets. At 8:00a.m. I hear the yahoo messenger instant message sound. I figure The Guy probably just woke up and got on the computer or it was a spam message cuz afterall, he is the only one who would IM me so early in the morning. I had left my computer signed on IM all night because my cousin was sending me all the pictures from Christmas and they hadn't downloaded when I went to bed.

I get about 10 instant messages and figure it IS The Guy and he is bored. I guessed right- it was The Guy and he said he needed help. He couldn't walk and he needed my help. He asks if I'm busy, still sleeping, or what the case was. I said I'm up, just enjoying myself and the nice warm bed, but I'll come over, no big deal.

I get over to his place at 9:15. His kitchen door was locked- I usually just walk in that door. I call him and he doesn't pick up. I yell his name and he doesn't hear since his TV is so loud. I walk around to the living room door and knock. He heard me, his dog barks, and he asks why I walk around. I tell him and apologize for having him get up.

I see his ankle. His ankle had about a 3-4 inch bruise going down it. He lays down on the couch and puts ice on it and elevates it. We watch "Law and Order." He jokes around and tells me he needs me there with him until 5p.m. when Aaron gets off work. I said ok... can do. The Guy calls his mom and tells her that he is going to the doctor at 12. I help The Guy out as much as I can getting him a glass of water or whatever from time to time when he asks.

At 12:00p.m. The Guy goes out to his car and gets in. I am thinking wait, you're injured, you're driving, and we're taking your car? There is a problem. The Guy drove to his doctor's office. When we get in the driveway he asks me to park the car so he can hobble in. I said no problem and seriously was hoping I wouldn't drive his car the rest of the day.

I was thinking how weird it was I had never driven his car... not that I wanted to or anything, because really I didn't- it is HIS car. I have a car and I drive it. I don't need his. I guess it is the whole comfort thing- I feel comfortable driving my car and when you drive someone else's car you always want to be extra cautious etc. His car drives a lot different than mine as far as acceleration and braking, but it was alright- we all made it safely. Guess that shows I'm a good driver. Since I'd never sat in the driver's seat of The Guy's car it surprised me that it is exactly how I would position it. He had the seat up as high as it goes, nearly as far back as it goes, and the steering wheel was just right. That shocked me because I am pretty tall (6'2'') and The Guy is only 5'9''. My parents are his height and I have to scoot their seats back nearly all the way when I drive their cars.

Anyways, I wait in the waiting room playing a game on my cell phone when he comes hopping out. He asks me to bring the car up. I figure ok, I can bring the car up since I did park far away and he doesn't have crutches yet. I bring the car up and he is hopping around going to the passenger seat. He says "off to the hospital" and I ask him the quickest way to get there since there were 3 or 4 ways we could get there. He tells me surface streets. I drive about 5 miles to the hospital. He forgot what street it was on and didn't bother to look at the address on the receipt. I knew it was right off the freeway and wasn't sure of the exit since I don't know the area as well as he does. We spend our time winding through surface streets, but finally make it.

Get to the hospital, am told where to go. I drop The Guy off and go to park. I had to park at the other end of the hospital. I trek back to the x-ray department and tease The Guy about how far he's going to have to walk. He says no, he's not walking because I'm bringing the car. Ok... that was it... I found out I was driving the rest of the day.

We wait and The Guy gets his x-rays. The nurse got The Guy insisted The Guy had a wheelchair and wheeled him into x-rays. I was tempted to snap a shot on my camera phone, but figured that wouldn't be too nice. It might be a good conversation piece, but I'm not that mean. He was done within 30 minutes. While he was waiting though, we sat around and talked about how Kaiser is different than Blue Cross like he has. I hiked to get the car, then came and got The Guy.

I drove to CVS so The Guy could get his Motrin and crutches. We get crutches and drop off his prescription, get drinks, and then go back to his place. The Guy had an argument with the woman in the pharmacy over crutches. He had to pay out of his pocket for them, despite the fact he had a prescription because CVS doesn't bill insurance. He'd have to go to a medical supply place. Lame.

We're both hungry by this time, so I drive in MY CAR to Bakers Square for burgers for us. It was good- the fries were seasoned today. The burger was good. The Guy ordered an appetizer with onion rings and he gave me those since he doesn't like them.

I brought my gift in for The Guy. I had forgot to bring it in earlier. I got him a Chipotle gift card. I had no clue what to get him and knew that he liked Chipotle, so that seemed like a good idea. It was. His face just lit up when I gave it to him and he had the biggest smile on his face. He was surprised I think. What was funny was The Guy was talking afterward that he got Aaron a Chipotle gift card for his Christmas gift and birthday gift. The Guy got me a 90 day subscription to continue playing Everquest... partly because he knows I won't pay for it. haha. He had it wrapped by amazon.com... haha... that's so typical of something he'd do! It really did make my day yesterday to get his gift. I kept it and didn't open it until Christmas and just to have his gift to open really did make my day. He said he felt bad by getting me so little. I told him that wasn't the case and not to worry. He said he'll make it up to me by giving me tons of cool software for my Mac.

After lunch, The Guy was in real need. He had me get him his pills. Then he wanted a Monster Energy Drink with 4 ice cubes in a tall clear glass. He had to make it complicated by demanding only 4 ice cubes. It was funny. I was standing over him as he was laying on the couch when he asked for this. He was asking me how much I hate him right now. He asked "this much?" and held out his thumb and index finger about 5 inches to ask if I hated him that much. I said no, then he went down to about 3 inches. Finally I piped in and said this much. I had my thumb and index finger pressed together to show I didn't hate him at all. How can you hate his adorable face?

We sat around watching TV and he played on his computer until about 5p.m.

At 5p.m. or so he wanted me to help him shower. He was going to have me get in the shower and use me to hold himself up, but he didn't want me to get in because if Aaron walked in then, it would have been awkward. He did have me dry him off with a towel after his shower. While he was showering I talked on the phone to Aaron who is directonally challenged and told him how to get to The Guy's house. Then I picked up and got all the clothes off the floor, so The Guy won't trip with his crutches.

Aaron got there about 5:30 and we sat around chatting. Today was his birthday. He is 20. He tried to tell The Guy and I he was 21, so we needed to get the booze out. We were both skeptical. I remember when I first met him he said he was 20. The Guy said he met Aaron when he was 20 1/2 and he remembered that because Aaron must count or something because he was saying a few weeks back he was 20 3/4. I remembered because he was trying to tell me he was older than me, even though he was 19, but the fact he was born in December made him older than me because I was born in January. Aaron asked when my birthday was and I told him a little less than 2 weeks away and I'd be 21... in 2 weeks we'll be breaking out the booze. The Guy then laughed and asked what he was doing hanging out with two 20 year olds.

We talked about Aaron's birthday, what we got for Christmas, stuff like that, and just hung around watching "Chelsea Lately." Aaron did the dishes for The Guy by putting them in the dishwasher. He likes to wash them by hand because the dishwasher doesn't get everything fully cleaned. The Guy insisted on the dishwasher. I took the trash out and stood around talking with Aaron and The Guy in the kitchen

Finally at 8:00p.m., The Guy was tired and wanted to go to bed. Aaron and I got ready to go. I apparently bothered Aaron by standing around waiting to walk out with him and waiting for him to tie his shoes. He had the same Vans shoes I did, but maybe a size 6 or 7, whereas mine are easily double the size. We all hugged and The Guy thanked both of us for helping him out. I hugged Aaron as we walked out to our cars and wished him Happy Birthday again. I came home and left him a comment on myspace saying happy birthday just to reiterate because he didn't think I said it once I found out. I did. I had said it after The Guy said it.

No comments: