Tuesday, January 27, 2009

HUH?

Here's one of those conversations with my dad I had this afternoon. It is one of those that makes me want to bang my head against the computer screen.

Dad: What's with the eggs in the refrigerator?
Me: Um... that's where they belong?
Dad: Don't you like eggs?
Me: Sure.
Dad: I thought you needed the eggs.
Me: For what?
Dad: Those egg things.
Me: That's descriptive.
Dad: Those egg things you make.
Me: What do I make? Eggs? What have I made with eggs lately?
Dad: Mexican things. Breakfast things.
Me: What Mexican thing or breakfast thing?
Dad: Isn't this why you bought eggs?
Me: I didn't buy eggs. We usually have eggs on hand. Mom was making cookies the other day.
Dad: So what are the eggs for?
Me: To eat.
Dad: So what are you having for breakfast?
Me: Pepperoni Pizza Hot Pockets usually, or Oatmeal Crisp.
Dad: So you don't need eggs? What are these Mexican things in the refrigerator?
Me: (thinking, trying to figure what Mexican things are in the refrigerator) Tortillas?
Dad: Yes. What are you using those for?
Me: Quesadillas.
Dad: Those have egg in them.
Me: If you do a breakfast quesadilla.
Dad: You're not eating these for breakfast.
Me: No. For lunch. Chicken and cheese.
Dad: So you're not putting egg in them?
Me: No.
Dad: Then how are you making them?
Me: ARE YOU LISTENING? I JUST SAID CHICKEN AND CHEESE QUESADILLAS. NOTICE THE TORTILLAS, THE SHREDDED CHEESE, NOTICE THE CUT UP CHICKEN BREAST IN THE REFRIGERATOR. PUT A TORTILLA ON A PLATE WITH CHEESE, BREAK UP THE CHICKEN AND DROP IT ON, PUT SOME SALSA ON. PUT IT IN THE MICROWAVE FOR A MINUTE OR SO.
Dad: Oh. (goes back to making the chili for dinner)

He's been quiet ever since...

I'm not sure what the point to this conversation was.
And um... Mexican things... tortillas... he couldn't get that out. He knows what a tortillas is!
I'm not sure if he's worried I'm not eating. That I am eating, or what.

2 comments:

Aek said...

Awww, your dad was kinda cute in this exchange. Maybe he's just getting up there in age . . . You should give him a hug. :D

Anonymous said...

So Mike, what are eggs?

I liked some of your answers (that's where they belong lol).

Cheers!