Monday, January 5, 2009

We knew I couldn't say it straight out that I'm gay...

I have a friend named Iman whom I've known since junior year of high school. We go to the same college and have the same group of friends. We try to stay in contact, but she's one of those science majors who practically lives at school and is always busy with family commitments and school. She is Muslim and like most of my friends can't be out late, can't date, etc. etc.

So we were chatting a lot lately over facecbook and decided we'd meet today since we had a common break and get lunch. We walked from campus to the Wienerschnitzel for some chili cheese dogs. When she was there she asked if I had a girlfriend, how I'm such a lady's man, and things like that. I said well, that's surprising since guys interest me. She laughed and smiled. Then she asked if I had pictures of people I liked. I did. And I showed her pictures of guys from my phone. Then the conversation continued... I was hesitant leading up and trying to avoid the subject and remaining very gender neutral when talking about guys referring to them as "they" or "them"; but we just trudged through it and I felt weird because her best friend is Darla and I haven't told her yet... maybe she'll find out... but that was easy.

1 comment:

Stephen Chapman said...

I think we've all been there and, even though I am 38, I STILL find it hard to say "I AM GAY"

http://thestateofthenationuk.blogspot.com