Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Carts


This is a photo of 1 of 3 shopping carts on a recent Costco trip with my mom. $300 worth of groceries to last for the next 2-3 weeks in her classroom. $300 of her own money. Money that could be spent on something we do as a family, on me, my sister, etc. I know this year my mom will likely be spending this much every other month on keeping her classroom stocked for the students. Her students really are lucky that she cares so much and spends this money on them to teach them to cook. But sometimes I just hate it when my parents say "we can't do this, we have to buy _______ for our classroom."

3 comments:

Joe said...

I know how your mom feels. It is one of the evils of teaching. I have kept the receipts over the past few years so that I can write them off. Last year I spent well over $2000 on my classroom, my kids, field trips, etc. It doesn't take long to do that. Of course, I feel that my kids need it more than me.

Heck, I could have taken a vacation on that money. Oh well, at least my kids benefited. That is what matters to me.

Aek said...

Awww. :(

Everyone must make sacrifices, it's crappy, but a fact of life. Is she not funded or reimbursed for the stuff she gets for her class? There should be a reassessment of the budget!

Dean Grey said...

Mike!

I can relate because my mother is also a teacher, teaching high school home economics (now called "Culinary Arts").

She teaches in a lower income community and needless to say, that particular high school can be a mess sometimes in terms of funding.

My mother often complains she can't teach the class properly due to malfunctioning equipment, oversized classes, and/or major lack of attendance.

How many of us growing up had teachers that would care that much about us? I know I didn't have many.

Consider yourself lucky that your mother is so dedicated to her career!

-Dean