Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Instant credibility - Music edition

Rather than bitching about my day and what went wrong I will post something positive. Bitching, it seems to be all that I do lately, and I'm tired of it. I'm trying to be positive.

So sometimes the kids have a favorite singer or artist that they are talking about. I'm young and hip, I listen to the stuff they do, so I know about their favorite singers and things like that. Today one girl was talking about how much she likes Degrassi. Somehow a few minutes later rap came up and I had some trivia for the kids. I asked the girl, R, if she knew that the rapper Drake's real name was, and she didn't know. I laughed and she asked if it was Drake. I told her no, it was Aubrey Graham. She asked who that was and I told her that this was some good trivia she could use on her friends- it was Jimmy from Degrassi. I had some gasps, kids telling me I was wrong, how they don't look anything alike, and how Jimmy doesn't cuss like Drake does. I asked if maybe Aubrey Graham was ACTING and maybe his character is the wholesome, well liked basketball player (yes, they dug that I knew that, and they got my point). I asked them if they had seen the music video because it looked like Jimmy to me. The kids were working quietly and this was a side conversation I picked up on and had to chime in on. The kids told me they were going to go home and prove me wrong tomorrow. I'm not worried. I know I'm right.





I love love love music trivia btw.

1 comment:

El Genio said...

I stumbled onto Degrassi a few years ago before I was even out. I secretly knew where Logo was on the TV, and would always try and catch Marco's story lines.

Oddly enough, I had no idea that this kid was a rapper until I was sifting through a bunch of hip-hop videos at work this week. And lo and behold, its the kid from Degrassi! So funny.