Sunday, September 6, 2009

My dad on drinking

Joe was taken back by my dad's thoughts about me drinking, so I thought I would tell the story...

My cousin told me this story when we met for drinks on Friday.

Last week my cousin and I went to Universal Studios. As I was leaving her house, a big Mexican party was starting in her cul-de-sac at one of the houses. There was a fight and it spilled out onto my uncle's lawn. My uncle went out and hosed the people down to get them off of his golf course quality lawn. He disbursed the crowds quickly I guess.

The next morning I guess to retaliate the people at the party put all of the beer cans in my uncle's trash cans. My cousin took off with her boyfriend shortly after I did, so the logical conclusion was we all went out to drink and then put the evidence in my uncle's trash cans. Logical, right? Well, he doesn't seem to remember the party that was taking place in his cul-de-sac.

Last Sunday morning my uncle finds this and he tells my aunt that my cousin, her boyfriend, and I must have been out drinking. My aunt asked my cousin if I was a drinker, then replied with of course not, I better not be. My uncle was ready to call my dad to tell him what a bad influence I was on my cousin and her boyfriend. I, of course, got a total kick out of this, and my uncle was ready to recommend alcohol rehab for me.

My cousin is 25 and her grandparents (my and and uncle) do not think she drinks. They are very anti-alcohol. My cousin does, her boyfriend does, she just hides it. But um, they have blinders on.

Anyways, so this story was funny, and I wanted to tell my dad to hear his reaction.

I repeated the above story to him, and then he said:
Dad: Benny (my uncle's name). Benny. He should know after hosing the people down they'd be mad and do something to get back at him.
Me: Yep.
Dad: Benny's losing his sense of reasoning in his old age.
Me: Yep.
Dad: Benny should know better. You and your cousin don't drink. I know that.
Me: mhmmmm
Dad: It's not that you just don't drink, but you guys are good kids.
Me: mhmmm
Dad: Now not that you can't drink, but I know you guys don't. I know Benny has taught your cousin well, and I have taught you well.
Me: mhmmmm
Dad: Drinking is up to you and I'd hope that you wouldn't do it.
Me: I see...

2 comments:

Aek said...

LOL! That's so random. If only your dad knew what you were up to. ;-)

Joe said...

Thanks for sharing the story. It's even funnier now that I know the backstory.

My dad knows that I drink. He doesn't care for it, but he tells me as long as I am smart about it he will be okay. I have only ever drank in front of him one time, and it was just one glass of wine at dinner.

The fact that both my grandfathers were alcoholics is one of the reasons my dad doesn't drink. I know he is afraid that we all could fall into the same scenario (alcoholism), and I will admit that I keep that same fear in my head. It is probably one of the reasons I don't drink too often.