Saturday, September 5, 2009

Luau

Went to a luau my friend John's parents threw. Got to talk to John, and we're still cool, although The Mike's and I aren't. That was important for me to hear, and I really appreciated since I've felt so alienated from everyone lately.

I am always amazed who shows up at their parties. I'm thankful we're invited often because I really enjoy them and know my parents do too.

They smoked a pig on a spit, there was corn on the cob, cheesecake, fruit salad, the best potato salad ever, and barbacoa y tortillas. Soooo good. The barbacoa and potato salad is what filled my plate.

One of the guys there is a home brewer and made several gallons of some beer for the party. It was citrusy. Though my parents were around, they were so far away at the other end of the yard I drank it. It was a citrusy beer, which was nice and perfect for the food we were eating. I decided I could and would continue drinking with my parents there- I was being daring- I just occasionally had a Sprite and poured it in the cup once I was done with the beer. John and I again just talked about the CBEST and mainly me subbing. He was really interested in that and how I have a reputation with the kids for being strict. He invited a girl over and was interested in her after that, but we stood around smoking, drinking, and talking for a while in the side yard away from our parents before she came over and got to catch up somewhat. I was so worried I'd get caught, and I am sure my dad saw me over at the home brew a couple times. Oh well. We were just talking earlier today about how he knows I don't drink, but knows it is my choice.

After we ate and talked we played poker. John and I were at different tables. I was at the sober, conservative adult table. He was at the smoking and drinking table. I started playing poker with my parents, then 4-5 other adults. I HAVE TO ADMIT I HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO PLAY POKER. EVERYTIME I PLAY I NEED A REFRESHER AND EVERY HAND I'M LIKELY TO, ALSO. I have follow the queen, Texas hold 'em, and high and low down as of now. But seriously, I'm not a fan. I will avoid playing like the plague, and today was no exception, but I must have been relaxed because of the beer and other stuff. We played a few games, then had a dessert break. My parents quit playing and went to talk with some of the people there. I kept playing, although I really didn't want to, but there was nobody to take my seat. I somehow kept winning and winning and winning. There was a $2 buy-in I forgot to mention. A few more breaks and more playing, and many new people at our table. Finally about 10:30 (5 hours later) we decide to split the pot 3 ways and I won $8. OMG. Seriously I had no clue what I was doing. We made such conservative bets. Each time we said we would only raise it like 1 or 2 chips- I wish we were doing big bets as I would have quickly played my chips and lost to avoid embarrassment of not knowing how to play etc.. The women at the table deemed that I had a "poker face," had they only heard of the song. We annoyed the other table so much by playing so conservatively. I can still see chips flashing in front of my eyes. My gawd, not my thing.

John's dad kept coming around and playing. He was hilarious. Constantly drinking 3-4 different alcoholic beverages, smoking a cigar, and cigarettes even though he is not a smoker either. He was joking he knew how to smoke cigarettes because he enjoys a cigar every once in a while, and at one point he was smoking 2 or 3 different cigarettes at once.

Everyone was in Hawaiian shirts, which was cool. We had all types of alcohol. Rum and coke, homemade sangrĂ­a (which I never got around to trying), all sorts of imported beers, and the home brew. Most of the people there were smokers, which was not cool.

John took off or something and was nowhere to be found when it was time to leave. We said goodbye to John's parents and took off.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good weekend so far

Major drinkage this weekend, much needed drinkage btw... 2 margaritas, a strawberry and cadillac margarita with my cousin, her friend Laura, and boyfriend at a Mexican restaurant

Tomorrow or Monday might be the LA County Fair

Speaking of the LA Co. Fair I want to see LeAnn Rimes and Pat Benatar there.

5 comments:

Aek said...

Sounds like you had a blast, though that's way too much smoking for me (any smoking is too much - I think I'm mildly allergic to it).

I need a drink, gah! Exams coming up. >.<

Joe said...

Sounds like you had a good time. Glad to hear it.

Okay, am I seeing things or did you actually say you and your dad were discussing how you DON'T drink? I am LMAO! (What our parents are oblivious to won't necessarily kill them.)

Hope you have a great time at the LA County Fair. I am jealous that you are getting to see LeAnn Rimes. Send me some pics.

Bruce said...

Pat Benatar is my favorite artist ever. She was the first concert I ever went to in 1982 in Baton Rouge, La., I was 19. I've seen her in concert probably 8 or 10 times over the years. I was even in her official fan club back in the day, LOL. Can you tell I love her and her husband is HOT!! Did she sing my favorite song, Hell Is For Children. It's an incredible song about child abuse.

Mike said...

Bruce: Pat isn't at the LA County Fair until the 24th of September (if my memory serves me right). I think it is a Thursday night. Tickets to the concert are free with fair admission, or you can buy seats online for close seats (meaning not way up in the grand stands, but on the actual field).

My 2 favorites from Pat are probably her most popular (Hit Me With Your Best Shot and Heartbreaker). She's awesome.

Oh, and her husband is going to be at the concert.

Mike said...

Bruce: And I do like "Hell is for the Children," too.