Monday, September 14, 2009

Sister Theory

My sister, dad, and I were all in the car getting groceries on Sunday. Sister was asking if my dad or me wanted to go to school for her.

Dad: What class?
Sis: Nanophysics theory (or something sciencey sounding with the word THEORY attached to it)
Dad: Are there any hot girls in the class?
Sis: Yes, and I sit next to one.
Dad: Do they look like inflatable tires?
Sis: That's so gross! EEEEEEEEEEW. So disgusting. So inhumane to women.
Dad: hahaha
Sis: (upset already for his previous comment) So will you go?
Dad: Um, I'll work on studying the girl.
Sis: You'd have to take notes.
Me: I only take notes on the truth. Professors talk and talk, but it is all just theory.
Sis: Yeah. You're graded on it, idiot.
Me: Until it is a fact I don't need to know it.
Sis: It is fact, idiot.
Me: You said it was a THEORY class.
Sis: It is theory. Theory is the truth. Theory is just another word for truth.
Dad: Theory is not the truth. Facts are truth. (Bunch of other clarification for my sister.) Theories have not been proven true.
Sis begins to cry, massive tears ensue, she is sobbing about us insulting her, her intelligence, her classes, her professors. That was deep.

9 comments:

Aek said...

Well . . . with regards to science, all of you are "technically" not quite correct.

There is little scientific "fact." Facts are immutable. Theories have not been proven false, and are generally assumed to be correct. Because science can only disprove in order to "prove," theories are hypotheses that have yet to be disproven.

So things like the theory of gravity, the theory of evolution, etc are all things that science has yet to disprove and thus thought of as correct. Theories can change and become tweaked with time and discovery.

"Theory" really is a misnomer. It's not truth per se (as your sister suggests) but rather truth as we currently know it. It's important to know the theory because it explains how things work as we currently know it. One could say all of medicine is theory, as there is far less "fact" than you'd think in medicine.

Why's your sister taking that class anyway? It sounds hard and not something she should skip, unless she has a fail wish. I'm glad your dad and you got a kick out of annoying your sister though. :P

Crap Newsman said...

You are allowed to take the place of a student?

Mind Of Mine said...

I am sure your sister is manic depressive.

Anonymous said...

She's a little handful. Sobbing because you don't want to go to HER class. Wait until you won't go to work for her, then it'll get really deep.

Anonymous said...

Dude, what is wrong with your sister?

Mike said...

Aek: Oops. I should have known Mr. Science was going to read my blog. Well, I can't go back now and give my sister a little credit. It was interesting to learn what you had to say.

borg_queen: My sister always tries to get out of doing things and jokes someone can take her place.

MindofMine: Maybe she is... wouldn't surprise me.

closet: HAHAHA Your humor always amuses me.

James: I don't know, I only live with her.

dan said...

you know how i feel about any sister posts. BLAH!!! UGHHH!!
ha
later.

Anonymous said...

good evening friends. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been digging allowing for regarding that singular brand. The prices due to the fact that the velcros were approximately 350 pounds everwhere. But for all I base this locate selling them for the benefit of half price. I absolutely like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase these. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

hello people. I'm actually into shoes and I was looking for the sake of that meticulous model. The prices for the sneakers were around 230 pounds on every page. But completely I bring about this location selling them someone is concerned half price. I exceptionally love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase them. what is your opinion?