Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Gay teachers

My professor for my Monday night class said something and it is one of those statements that probably just sticks with you, but has had me thinking nonstop since I heard it.

"Gay guys make the best teachers. They already go through so much hate and ridicule that they know the importance of making everyone feel welcome in their classes, and they make all the kids feel comfortable. They deal with so much shit and go through so much trying to hide it, and they really shouldn't. They pour their lives into their work to hide from the outside world."


She went on to say if she knows a teacher is gay, she absolutely pushes to have her son in their classroom. She said that the one gay guy on her staff is the most incredible teacher I have ever met. He is only out to a few people on staff, but those who know, know he is the most incredible teacher. If the parents knew they would flip their lid because it is such a conservative area. It is the parents though pushing to have their students in his class, though. He is so caring, goes to all the kids activities, is at work at 5a.m. and there until 9p.m. He is so organized, he leaves so many comments on all of the students work, he is just overall what every teacher aspires to be.

I just post this because I know I have a few teachers who read my blog, but also, shit, that sounds exactly like what I aspire to be, yet am so worried about having work consume my life like that.

4 comments:

Joey said...

This made my day!

All I want to say about this is AMEN!

Aek said...

Sounds like it parallels medicine pretty well. There are those you aspire to be but when you stop and think about the personal sacrifices they've made, you can't help but wonder if there's a better way. I wish I had the answers but I sadly don't.

El Genio said...

Success in any profession certainly requires a large time investment, but you also have to recognize the importance of working smarter and not harder. Sometimes my dad does this thing where for the first hour or two of his workday he doesn't respond to or check any emails. He focuses on whatever the current priority is. Anyway, I'm sure you know the standard buzz words, delegation, priorities, work during your golden hours, et.c et. blah blah blah.

Mikey said...

I'm one of those gay teachers who read your blog. I'm not sure how good I am, but students say nice things about my teaching, and they do fill my classes. I had a kid tell me once that the students (high school) like me because I treat them "like real people." I do think about helping them have a positive experience in school because I didn't, being fearful the whole time that someone would figure out that I was gay. And my best friend, also gay, is one of the best teachers in our school. Coincidence? I don't know.