Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Ignoring the question

Scene: My classroom for the day, a history class, we are studying the beginnings of Ancient Rome, class is dead silent. We are doing read aloud where 1 student reads a paragraph from the book, then I call on another volunteer.

Me: Who would like to read paragraph 3 next?
Loud Mouth Off Track: ME!!! ME!!! MR!!! ME!!!
Me: Go ahead.
LMOT: Mr. Random Thoughts in My Life, did you know that I heard on Ryan Seacrest this morning 1 in 5 people have herpes?
(Hell is about to break loose... think fast... think fast... what to do... what to say?) (Many random giggles, loud talking starts.)
Me: Ryan Seacrest, love him. I was listening to him in the car this morning, and he just makes American Idol. (I have hand gestures going, changed tone of voice, and everything.)
LMOT: You listen to Ryan Seacrest?
Me: Am I that old? Did you hear the 6:50 shout out this morning? I would swear a teacher from our school called up to wish everyone a good day.
LMOT and several other students: Really? Who? Were you listening?
Me: I think so. I was flipping radio stations and swore that's what I heard.
Random student: Who is young enough to listen to KIIS FM?
Group of students: (Shouting out names of random teachers) Mrs. C, Mrs. D, Mr. E, Mr. F, Mrs. G...
Me: See... we're not that old!
LMOT #2: Are you 33? That's what I heard.
Me: Yes, if it makes your day.
(Talking is thankfully dying down).
Me: Back to Rome where we're going to discuss some really old people.
(Much giggle ensues, but I get them back on task relatively quickly)
Good student #1: Reads about Rome's geography
Good student #2: Reads about farming or something exciting like that.
LMOT: Mister, herpes.
Me: NO, INAPPROPRIATE.
LMOT: You sound serious.
Me: Ancient Rome.
LMOT: Can I read?
Me: Paragraph 6 about Ancient Rome.

1 comment:

Aek said...

Haha, nice move. That's quite an amusing convo exchange. :P