Sunday, June 8, 2008

Thoughts on 2 radio stations

I love radio, and that is no secret. I do not listen to CDs in the car, or my iPod, even though I could do both.

I have been listening to KEARTH 101 in Los Angeles and KOLA 99.9 out here in the IE quite a bit lately.

It is no secret that KEARTH plays the same 200 songs over and over, therefore so many of the oldies are not played. They are branded as "oldies radio, KEARTH 101," but are making the shift to "classic hits," like KOLA, which includes 70s and 80s. Still, classics to me encompasses everything through, say, the 80s like the Eagles and The Police. KEARTH could do a 50-80s format, and if it was programmed well I think could be successful. Their ratings are improving and they're once again almost competitive with KOST. KOST still has much more of a variety with their adult contemporary format. You're much more likely to hear oldies on KOST though as of late, as I have noticed they're incorporating songs like "Stand By Me," "My Girl," Beach Boys and lots of Supremes. Stealing out on KRTH listeners? Perhaps. As of late you're much more likely to hear The Temptations on KOST as opposed to KEARTH.

My whole thing about this KEARTH post was to talk about how annoyed I was last night when I was driving home and I hear "Smooth" by Santana (from the 90s) AS WELL AS "Dreaming of You" by Selena on KRTH. KEARTH used to play an adult contemporary mix- my mom talks about how she listened to "Walk Like An Egyptian" by the Bangles and others on KEARTH when she used to work in LA in the 80s. KEARTH, you are now branded as AN OLDIES STATION. Sure you are expanding your playlist to include classic hits, but KOLA hasn't gone that far. I don't consider either of those songs you were playing to be classic hits. KEARTH, rather than dip into songs from the 90s, expand your playlist of songs from the 50s, 60s, and 70s.



Now KOLA especially is not coming out unscathed. We've been listening to KOLA in my family since 1990 or so when they played a GOOD variety of the 50s, 60s, and 70s. You used to hear Buddy Holly, Sam Cooke, and Elvis. Now if KOLA plays Elvis the only song they play is "Suspicious Minds," which I like, but the one song shows the repetitiveness of their playlist. KOLA, like KEARTH is shifting towards classic hits. KOLA has a lot more variety like Prince (I heard "Party Like It's 1999 on Friday), 1 Police song ("Every Little Thing She Does is Magic"), but you'll still hear some Beach Boys, Beatles, and occasionally Doo Wah Diddy from 1964. KOLA, you have a repetitive playlist also. Play more Police if that's what you're going to do- what about "Roxanne," "Walking on the Moon," or any number of other Police hits? KOLA could be well programmed and play a wide variety of stuff you don't hear often, but still they are choosing to play the mainstream songs everyone knows- "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic," but these artists didn't have just that hit song. Also KOLA, please lay off on "Hotel California," by the Eagles, "Hold The Line" by Toto, Janis Joplin, and Steeley Dan. KOLA, please play more Police, more Rick Springfield, perhaps the Bangles with "Manic Monday" or "Walk Like An Egyptian," maybe Belinda Carlisle, Boy George, Blondie, Bruce Springsteen, and how about including "Africa" by Toto?

No comments: