Sunday, June 28, 2009

I'm truly Californian- a dog party!

What can I say?

I don't know other than I have heard this sort of thing only happens in California where we are obsessed with our animals, treat them like they are part of the family.

I was invited to a dog birthday party for Patty's dog, Sandy Kissy Heartfelt. What kind of name is that for a dog? (I dunno, but that's what the Facebook invite says). I've heard of these, because hey, it is California. I live in an area where when going out for the afternoon women will hire a dog sitter, so yeah, I have heard of these. But everyday people? I can see housewives, or the rich and famous, but Patty?

But imagine my surprise to be invited to one of these? What do you do? Bring your dog too? Do you sit around and brag about your dog's accomplishments? Do the dogs play with each other? Do you bring the dog a bone as a gift? Do you bring the owner a gift? Is it just a dog oriented get together?

Patty called me about 6:30 tonight and told me about something that went on at her church, and that she wanted to invite me to a party. I said ok. She said her dog Sandy Kissy Heartfelt, a rat terrier, was having a Birthday Barkdown (instead of a hoe-down keeping with Patty's love for country) on Wednesday. She asked if I could come and I can usually refrain from bursting out in hysterics, but I couldn't this time and had to hit the mute button on the phone, then blame it on reception. I know my tone of voice was much more high pitched. I said I'd have to see in a high, girly voice. She asked if I was going to bring my dog. My dogs won't play well and will both fight to dominate the other dogs. That part is a no for sure.

Being the optimistic, go get it attitude, Californian, I'll go.

3 comments:

Aek said...

That's . . . kind of weird. o_O

Joe said...

Well, it does sounds rather strange...especially on my side of the US. However, I was invited to a housewarming party for a dog last summer. A good friend of mine had gotten her partner this puppy from out of state, and this was a celebration for his welcoming home.

Sadly, I did not get to go, but I did send a gift...a collection of chew toys for the new puppy and some Tylenol for my friend since she had to train the puppy.

So, you are not alone!

Anonymous said...

Multiple dogs with multiple owners together? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

On another not, in regards to gift-giving, I recommend that you bring the owner a bone. I think that's a fair compromise, no?