Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Air purifiers

Hey guys,

I need your help. Does anyone have a recommendation on air purifiers? This may seem like a stupid thing, but I'm quite serious. I've had some serious health issues this summer that I haven't blogged about, but I will say that the problems are likely allergy related. I have long complained to my parents that the air "smells" and "seems" thicker in my bedroom, which bothers my respiratory system to no end. My bedroom doesn't have the benefits all the others do- opening the 2 windows on 2 different sides of the bedroom does help, but my bedroom faces the opposite direction the wind blows so it doesn't really circulate the air. I can leave my bedroom fan on to no avail. I even have a window air condition and that doesn't help. NOBODY could tell but to me the air seems to be thicker.. Maybe it is because of my sensitivities to things like this I picked up on it instantly. I do everything I can to prevent it including vacuuming the room regularly, we had new carpet put in last summer, don't keep linens around and things to attract dust. Whatever the case, I brought in the old Honeywell Air Purifier that lives in the dining room and always stays on low over there. It stays on low because high is obnoxiously loud. I let it run in my room on high whenever I have left much to my mom's dismay and I noticed it doesn't seem as bad, and the problems I've been having don't seem as bad. When I'm in my room it is on low, but the low is too loud for my tastes. When I'm sleeping I need absolute quiet, a gentle hum is ok, but not the hiss this puts out like the drone of an air condition with something caught in it. With the air filter we have I find I have to sleep with earplugs to keep it on- and that's something I shouldn't have to do. I have noticed a difference in the air in the past 3-4 days, so I am sure it is working/helping somewhat.

Anyways, I was wondering if you have a recommendation about a good air purifier that is quiet. Personal experiences or testimonials perhaps? I went to 3 stores (Home Depot, Target, and Macys) hoping to be able to test the air purifiers, but all are boxed, and the employees didn't know much about them. I know what I would like (the $500 air purifiers that The Guy has in each room of his house that are programmable, digital, and change colors), and I'm sure if I did some begging I could get one from him, but I'm not the kind to do that. I was just wondering if any of you have any experience with one that is relatively quiet, doesn't hiss like these, and is relatively inexpensive (under $100 would be great) that can be kept on 24/7. I think I'll end up settling for this, which someone says is quiet in the reviews. We'll see... I just wanted input if anyone had any firsthand testimonials.

Thanks for your help!

4 comments:

Crap Newsman said...

I wouldn't touch those purifiers with a 10 foot pole. It's quite useless and doesn't kill all the organisms. Besides, why would you want to, anyway? More germs = superior immune systems. More kids now have asthma because of the ultra-sanitized environments that they grew up in. Their immune systems get cranky because it has nothing better to do.

Anyhoo, if I were you I'd look at installing an exhaust fan to suck the air out.

Mike said...

Well, I did forget to mention the whole house exhaust fan is right outside my bedroom and should be able to suck the stuff out. I've had mixed results, however. I do try that regularly.

Anonymous said...

I recommend you ask your allergy doctor.
He would certainly have opinions I would think.
Hope you feel better!

James said...

I used to work for RadioShack, and they carried some air purifiers under their "Lifewise" brand. They were supposed to work pretty well (I always felt that the air on that side of the store felt fresher) and they weren't too loud. I think they've since dropped the brand, but you might be able to do some research on whose purifiers they were really rebranding or find one used on eBay...