Monday, September 24, 2007

Conflicted over amazing opportunities

I have 2 internships I can choose between this fall. I interviewed for 2 over the past couple months and got both.

Internship 1One is with a high ranking official with a name. If I could get a letter of recommendation from this individual, I'd be set. It would basically be doing paperwork type stuff at her office. But there could be good things to come from this- lots of connections with public officials maybe and other big name people.

The main reason for this internship: the name and possible connections, plus I would learn some skills transferrable to other fields like public relations, journalism, etc. I would be closer to home and so closer to family etc. and less stress probably cuz of less driving

Reason to not take: sounds rather boring, 30 minute drive to the office

Internship 2 is working at a newspaper as an entry level reporter- writing stories and going out in the field. This paper is on the small side, but has a good reputation. I'd also be videotaping and shooting footage of the stories I cover.

Reason to take this internship: it is what I'm interested in, my name would be in print, it would help me in the journalism field cuz my name would be in print, learn a lot of skills like writing and photography

Reason not to take: 60 mile each way commute (1 hour), far from home, working under deadlines, etc.

I HAVE TO DECIDE BY TOMMOROW. Both are more than willing to work with my schedule. Both are excellent opportunities, but I really don't know which to take. I won't say right now which way I'm leaning...

3 comments:

Bruce said...

You probably should take #1 because of the connections and name recognition but Palm Springs is great fun and very gay. The mayor is gay for christs sakes. A lot of rich people there who you could connect with also. Hell, you might find a hot daddy in PS who's willing to take care of a cute boy.

Matt in Argyle said...

I hope you made your decision. Honestly though, I would probably take number two, mainly because it is what you think you are interested in. Get your feet wet and see if it is what you want! Good Luck!

K said...

#1....and we talked about why HAHA!