Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Nashville Day 1

Woke up at 8:30 Nashville time after going to bed close to 3a.m. It didn't help that I haven't slept more than a few hours for the past couple nights. Sleep problems suck. Enough about that... on with the show. Met a couple of my dad's friends at breakfast and talked to them. I've only met the guys once before, but they're cool guys and tell cool stories.

I'll spare you the rant on our hotel... It is in a bad area, the hotel is bad in general. Ask if you must know... I counted at least 10 defects with our room and I'm not one to complain. I need little to get by and will often just suck it up. I'll just tell you I don't feel comfortable walking barefoot in the room.

We took off at 9:30 to go to the Opry Mills/General Jackson steamboat. We had an hour to kill, so we shopped at Opry Mills. Small outlet in comparison to some in California, but found 3 real cool stores. Fossil had shirts on sale for $6.00. Journeys, the shoe store was about 5 times the size of any I've seen in California. I went shoe shopping- bought 3 pairs. It was exciting. They're wild-er than what I usually wear. It was so exciting, I had to call K and tell him about my experience. Then I found a store called Kirkland with lots of art/brass work and a lot of stuff I liked for my room for when it is finally done. I'm going back on Friday with the wives in my dad's army unit. I'll shop there then. Something tells me I'm going to need the extra room in my suitcase.

Went on the General Jackson steamboat from the Opryland Resort all the way down to Downtown Nashville, then turned around. It was a fun little boat cruise. The country music they were playing sucked (and I like country, but Little Big Town is not one of my favorites and neither is Carrie Underwood). Then the band playing was not good at all. They tried. I think. The food on the boat was not great, but oh well. It was soooo cool to see downtown Nashville by boat.

When we got back to the hotel we met up with the guys in my dad's army unit. I went over with the wives to plan out our excursion for this week. I get to hang out with women over 50... but they can drive... I am too young to drive the rental car. We all want to go the same places, so it shall work and they're nice... not real exciting... but oh well. I guess I'll just be a pimp hanging out with all the women... yeah... that's how I'll roll this week.

2 comments:

K said...

"I'll spare you the rant on our hotel... It is in a bad area, the hotel is bad in general."

You already know what I think about this from our convo last night....I hope you came to your senses and cussed that lady at the front desk!

LOL!

Queen of Arts said...

I went to Opry Land many, many years ago -- about 2 years before the Mills corporation bought the theme park and began to convert it into what is now Opry Mills.

Kind of strange ... converting a theme park into a shopping center...