Thursday, September 13, 2007

I think I just came out

Went to lunch with my friend Melbatea as I call her. She and I go to Disneyland together a lot with a group of friends or bowling. We met up for lunch at the Cheesecake Factory and talked for 2 hours. The cheesecake factory is waaay overpriced and not that great. $26.00 for just myself and the lemon chicken tasted like I was eating a lemon- not chicken. Good times overall. I had to leave tutoring early to meet Melbatea for lunch. Gonzo asked why I was leaving and I said I had a date. I just say that to appear straight cuz that's what us closeted guys do. So I give her the details, say some random girl, and everything. Good deal.

Went to get allergy shots with my mom tonight and apparently wanted to know if I think Melbatea is dateable material. I said maybe... that's a usual response from me.

I had to be back at the school tonight for parent night. Gonzo asked me how the date went- I told her awesome. Great conversation and everything. Everything seems great? Right. Well, as we're leaving I tell Gonzo I have a class and won't be at work tommorow. She says oh, ok. She asks what I'm taking and I tell her. I was totally not thinking, then I add in "the professor, he is soooo hot." She looks at me smiling, not like alarmed or anything, and she says, "what did you just say?" I realized I must have said "he," so I said she is soooo hot. She has dark brown hair with brown streaks in it, she is 27, and so on. Then she says "Mike, you need to watch yourself, she is 27- she is your professor." I said that's only a 7 year difference and that was ok because she's smart and hot... two big prereqs in a person. Then it was just so casual afterward; we walked to the teacher's classroom we were going to and that was it. Nothing more was said. Not sure if she knows now or what or she heard "he" or "she;" at least for me it is possibly a small step/reminder about how I have to be careful about what I say.

3 comments:

J.R. said...

I dunno, man. I think you played it off well — she was probably smiling not because he heard "he" but because you were talking about a prof... Or if she thought she heard "he," you played it off well.

But you should be careful! I was over at the crush's apartment watching "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia," and I just barely caught myself before I commented on how cute one of the actors was being in his role.

Nothing Golden Stays

Closeted said...

I do/say the "date" thing as well too...haha and you did play it off pretty well.

Matt in Argyle said...

Nice recovery. I think you should be fine, it sounds like you handled it well.