Tuesday, August 7, 2007

My stopover in Oklahoma

DaninOKC beat me to it, but I was tired last night after being up since 4:00a.m. central time (2:00a.m. Cali time). I got home, unpacked, called it a night at 10:20 or so Cali time.

A big shoutout and thanks to Dan for coming to the airport, driving, and taking me to lunch at Zios Italian Restaurant.

Had a stopover on my flight from Mississippi in Oklahoma, which allowed me to meet up with fellow blogger DaninOKC. It was a neat experience to meet someone who I've met/talked with through im and blogging, but also a closeted guy, Christian guy, etc. I was comfortable with meeting him and instead of feeling butterflies which I might feel from meeting someone online, I felt the whole anxious/excited thing going on instead since it was like we had known each other before meeting. But it was pretty cool that even though this was the first time we met, we knew about each other through our blogs, which gave us stuff to talk about.

So what are my thoughts on Dan since I'm sure that's what everyone wants to know as I know a lot of us read his blogs? Hot guy for one, with a great smile. He has a really cute smile and when he smiles his blue eyes light up, which was priceless. He had tons of energy, which made him fun, he definitely seems like he'd be a cool guy to hang out with if I were closer to OKC. Did he have a southern twang/accent? Nope... not so much. I was kind of wondering because he is from Oklahoma and everything, but no. I'm sure he could come to a place like California and in no time would fit in. He had some real cool new shoes also.

It was cool to get to sit and talk about things we've blogged about like Dan's roommate, telling Dan about The Guy, then other random things like my sister. We didn't have a ton of time since I was waiting for a call from my cousin who was stuck at work and trying to get to the airport to give me some family stuff. I only wish we had more time to sit and talk about stuff like our faith, the whole gay thing, family thing, and everything else.

I got back to the airport and met my cousin. She was just getting there as I was. We only had time to talk as I checked in my bags because the line for security was LONG. I told my cousin I thought it would take 30 minutes to get through. So we go check my bags in get to the ticket counter. There are fliers saying "no fireworks allowed in suitcase," etc. etc. My cousin said the flier could say worse things, but also that is stupid to bring fireworks. She said that is comparable to bringing a leaf blower onto a plane because it is something you don't need. Then she asked me if I have a leaf blower in my suitcase. I said nope, nothing like that, just clothes.That made the guy suspicious at the ticket counter apparently though.

So we walk over and say goodbye to each other and I get in line for the security screening. I get up to putting my stuff in the gray bins to go through security when TSA pulls me aside and asks me to go with them. My heart was racing by then. WHY ME? I get pulled into a room and they ask me what I have in my suitcase. Not wanting to lie and screw up I said in the small suitcase I have clothes and in the big one it is family mementos. They ask if I was sure. I said yes. I was really getting worried and so they bring my suitcases over and ask if its ok for them to open them. Of course I say, they're TSA and I'm not going to fight. 3 guys look through my suitcases and ask if there are firearms, fireworks, or leaf blowers in there. I said NO. They said that was fine and they didn't see anything. They took my suitcases, then they let me get back in the security line at the back of the line. I was about 1/2 way through it when they got me. It is 3:10 at this time. My flight leaves at 3:20. My heart is pounding because I'm thinking I'm going to miss my flight, my cousin is on her way back to work, TSA just stopped me, and in the back of my mind I'm getting worried because I am wondering if they're going to put me on some flight watch list or not.

I hear them announce my flight is departing and that they're waiting for 5 passengers and they say the names. Not me, I wasn't worried. 2-3 minutes later I hear my first name, they massacre my last name (which you really have to try to massacre my last name... I can understand my first name being massacred, but my last name... you have got to be kidding) and hear my flight number. I flag someone from TSA down and say I HAVE TO GO- my flight is leaving. The lady said to see if I could get cuts. I go through the line asking each person and they all say yes. I get up to the front and get through security quick as I can. I threw everything in my carryon including my shoes, so I'm running through the OKC airport shoeless, trying my hardest not to slip on the slippery tile, just because I'm trying to save time as it was 3:20. I get in front of the Sonic and guess who was clumsy enough to run into a sign? Me! I keep running and make it ALL the way to the other end of the airport. They already closed the plane door. I begged at first to please let me on and they finally said ok. They weren't going to, but I got a little upset and said I have got to go because this is the last flight back to Cali for the day. I got on the plane and had what seemed like 1000 people staring me down as I got on the plane. Thankfully my seat was in row 3 so I didn't have to walk to the back of the plane and see everyone giving me that look of displeasure. I put my carryons in the overhead bins, sit down, and finally put my shoes back on. Hey, nobody should be mad... we did make it back to Cali 20 minutes earlier than scheduled.

2 comments:

dan said...

hey thanks, I had a blast getting to come up and meet you while stopped over. I'm sorry to hear about the airport deal, next time ditch the cousin while in line and say as little as possible, that's always my theory ( and they have to find my leaf blower! ) ha , nah just kidding, and btw NO KIDDING allowed EVER at airports now. tell the cuz.
so no twang huh? maybe Golden boy has one he's from further south. he he
glad you had a great trip. later.

J.R. said...

Ha ha. They actually asked after the leaf blower? Wow. Yeah, Dan's right — you NEVER joke in an airport anymore.

Anyway, it's awesome you guys were able to meet up and put faces with the blogs. Really cool.

I have been told I have an accent by some people, but it must be very slight because other people swear they can't hear it. Still others say I only have it with certain words... I kinda wish I had more of one, but ah well.

Nothing Golden Stays