Tuesday, May 26, 2009

8 Rally

Ended up meeting Foot Fetish and Dennis there. I parked over near the old Circuit City, but they had parked by the mall and were standing at the other street corner across the street. Took some time to find them. When we arrived at the Rancho Cucamonga rally about 7:30 there were people on 2 street corners and probably 100 people (I'm bad with guessing numbers). The 3 of us didn't have signs, but we stood along the streetcorner to show our support. We were kind of in the background. It was kind of interesting at first not a lot of people were honking, but lots of angry people, and lots of people flipping us off. The people there all seemed to know each other and Foot Fetish knew some of the people. We of course screamed/wooed when someone did honk. I only stayed for about 30 minutes because I had somewhere to go. I did see that by 10p.m. they were still out the 4 street corners, in the center islands, and there were probably 4 times the crowd that was there at 7:30. Overall, it really was exciting to be there and felt good for taking part in it. I do have to admit I was scared at first for probably trivial reasons- what if my mom or someone saw me on the front page of one of the newspapers if they were out here covering this? What if something bad happens? What if someone throws something? Stupid stuff, but all in all, I am glad I took part in it for at least some time and would love to do it again. Everyone who was there was just so friendly.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

A rally was scheduled for 6pm (my time) last night in my downtown, but I could not make it because of work. Bleh.

Our city is sometimes a quasi-liberal oasis in a sea of red. I participated in November's Prop 8 rally and was surprised by the honking and support we received by passing drivers. It was encouraging.