Friday, August 24, 2007

The meeting at work...

Went well and was done in an hour. It lasted from 3-4.

The question came up midway through about what to do about a lead tutor. I was told in June I would be. That's basically because of everything I said in my previous post about how I know this and that and none of the other tutors do. So the coordinator asked if anyone else would like to be... there was a hush in the room.

Mike sat in a student desk huddled around the 6 other tutors, coordinator and looked down, thought about it. Mike then looked up and said something to the effect, "I'm thankful that you guys think that I handle these duties so well and I am certainly capable at fulfilling these duties on a daily basis." The coordinator, Mrs. C, said I do a "kick ass job" and should continue.

I said there is a big "BUT" and pay is an issue. I said I don't mind doing these things, but I don't see that I am getting paid for this. I don't mind arranging guest speakers, making phone calls, making photocopies, handling timecards, handling all the budget related stuff, but I am not being paid more than anyone else for doing this. I am getting paid, but not anymore. I said I do all of it because it is beneficial for the students and I find that really rewarding and the coordinator thanked me for my efforts. I said maybe you feel it is out of the goodness of my heart I should do it, but all of this is above and beyond what is in the contract that I signed when I was hired. Mrs. C said she realized what I was saying, but the district has the pay set, she championed for more pay for us, but there is nothing she can do.

So she opened up the forum to the other tutors and asked if they wanted to step in. Loud Mouth did. So now Loud Mouth is the lead tutor. I could care less... it is just a title with more work for the same pay. Loud Mouth said she didn't know if she could handle all of this herself (typical response from her) so Mrs. C asked if anyone else would be willing to help her. Gonzo and B volunteered. So now there are 3 lead tutors. I like that... it takes 3 people to do my job. I know I'll end up doing a lot of this stuff even though I'm not lead tutor.

Anyways, afterward Mrs. C said that she could pay me some overtime hours to help her set up her classroom with the new stuff for the program. So I did that for 3 3/4 hours with Loud Mouth... heck yes!!! I left school at 7:45p.m on a Friday night... haha

I was talking to Mrs. C afterward after Loud Mouth and Gonzo left. She said she knows I'll be the one who does the stuff still, so it doesn't matter she chose them 3. She knows Loud Mouth won't get anything accomplished; Gonzo will, but it will take time for her to find everything out; and B is going to be busy with other things. Mrs. C said she still respects me and knows I'm there, sees how I feel, and will do her best to see what she can do.

1 comment:

J.R. said...

Hmm... did you bring up that you have other job offers? But I guess she couldn't really do anything then either, since the district sets the pay. Tough decisions.

Nothing Golden Stays