Thursday, August 23, 2007

Tutoring pay

So now I have 2 jobs... I plan to sub 2 days a week in my mom's school district. Then I'm still going to tutor at the high school.

I have said MANY times that I love working at the high school since I know everyone and have great friends like Loud Mouth and Gonzo.

Things are going to be different this year because of a new coordinator for the program I tutor for. I can accept most of the changes since they won't affect me. I have done enough ass kissing that I'm seen as the go-to guy by all the teachers and the new coordinator. I can do no wrong in their eyes. The new changes for coworkers like Loud Mouth will definitely cause her some problems... she may actually have to show up... and show up on time... haha.

Anyways, the biggest apprehension I have about going back to work at the high school is the pay. It was supposed to increase nearly $4 an hour. The district didn't approve that. Yet every other person in the district got a 6.6% raise. Us tutors didn't because we're paid from entirely different funds than the rest of the people in the district. That was a big insult to us tutors... I think our job is pretty important... working with needy kids and helping them in areas they are struggling. What I used to make was good money up until this point. Now the cafeteria workers get $11.95 an hour... the noon playground monitors get $12.15... an instructional assistant (what my job is classified as) gets $14.15, yet I don't get paid that.

Part of it is I can see I can get jobs elsewhere doing the same job with almost any other district and get $2-$6 an hour more. Sure it may mean doing a little more work, but that's fine. My mom said she can get me a job in her district, at her school for $3-5 more than I get now. The money sounds good, but I don't want to work with my mom and the teachers at her school, even though I like a lot of them and would fit right in. I would not get to see/hang out with people my age like my coworkers though, which is not something I'm sure I want to lose right now. In fact, I know I don't.

I can do other things outside of the education arena- I've looked at many things, but none are as flexible as being a tutor/instructional assistant with the hours. I do have a strong resume and references, so that is not a problem. I just like the flexibility of my job right now. I would like to try other things, sure, but I don't know if it is me being scared, limiting myself, and not
wanting to lose the flexibility and not wanting to work weekends.

I did apply for 2 non-classroom jobs, but never heard back for interviews, so it is not trying on my end, and at least I can say I did apply. One was for a representative for a local college, which would mean going to schools and community events, etc.

Then another thing is the money. Every person in the current school district I'm in is making $2-3 more because of that raise they got. I guess it is the greed in me, but I really want more money too. I could easily apply to be a campus supervisor and get $5 more an hour, plus would get paid for random things like working the concession stand at the football game or supervising the basketball game. Money sounds good, money can buy things.

At the meeting tommorow, I do plan to tell the coordinator that I have been approached by other teachers in other districts about doing the same job for more money. This may not be the best thing to say, but she knows that I am not happy that we didn't get a raise. She knows that I am the go-to guy: I know all the students, I handle the classes well, I know all the little adminstrative stuff that needs to be done, I know the budget stuff, and none of the other tutors do, plus with her being a new coordinator and having never done this before she needs someone to help her. Wouldn't it be a shame if I weren't there? She did say last year she would see if there were any way to get me a little more money... I'm just going to say the time has come for that since I have many more options.

This post was probably all around, but I didn't try to organize it in any real order... just kind of throwing out thoughts that have been in my head and get things straight.

1 comment:

dan said...

2 jobs? sounds like 2 new pair of shoes may be in order. ha.
later.