Monday, July 9, 2007

March 11-20

Tuesday, March 20, 2007
Una razon para estudiar Espanol
I called my old bank today (where my savings account is and credit card) because I hadn't received my statement on my credit card. I didn't want the payment to be late, so I decided to call. I called first, went through their stupid automated prompts to connect me to the right place, waited for about 5 minutes on hold and was told I was the 8th caller in line to be served. Screw that. I hate waiting on the phone and listening to their pitches about their services they offer, I hate automated systems, I hate listening to Jessica Simpson music on hold, so I decided to hang up and call back. I had this bright idea- they always say "press 1 for English," "press 2 for Spanish." I pressed dos. Yo hablo Espanol, so I figured por que no? Within 30 seconds there was a lady on the phone in Spanish, asked me how she could help, I told her of my problema and needed to know the balance on my credit card, she asked for my address and other security stuff, then told me what I needed to know. All within 2 minutes. That was muy bueno.
Posted by Mike at 3:39 PM 0 comments
Labels: My day, Thoughts

Monday, March 19, 2007
Because I rant about so many of my other neighbors...
I know I rant about the Christian neighbor I don't like, the next door neighbors who don't control their dogs, the man next door is also abusive to his wife, and other things like that. I probably sound like that grumpy old man in every neighborhood telling the kids to get off his lawn and doesn't like anyone in the neighborhood. I'm not... I wanted to post and say I actually do like and get a kick out of quite a few of my neighbors.I love S and G up the street. My parents have known them for 30+ years and S isn't afraid to tell it like it is and gives great advice. I'm sad that G has developed a mysterious skin illness triggered by the sun, so they're moving to Oregon soon since he can't take California weather.The old lady across the street in the cul de sac. Every Thursday about 6:30a.m. she goes out and passes out the trash from her house to all the other neighbors. She owns the house, her 3 daughters who are all doctors and never married live in the house with her, then her son's family lives in the house (his wife and 2 girls), then they have a HUGE extended family that visits often. The house is about 2,000 square feet, but they have a lot of people living there... and always have the extended family over... consequently lots of trash. Out here in Cali you have to pay for your trash cans and the county/city provides them. They cost $6.00 per trash can, they have 5, but that's not enough, so every Thursday the old lady is out passing out trash to the neighbors who don't have full trash cans. She doesn't even try to hide it... she'll even make 4-5 trips sometimes to give everyone some trash. The girl I carpool with to school and her parents... they're so friendly and supportive of everyone. I have known them my whole life. I wish we saw more of them. Then there is a couple, probably about 50 that live on the street below us and walk up our street every night. The lady, I'd swear she is on drugs or something... maybe her hippie days or something really messed with her brain. You never know what will come out of her mouth. When they're out walking, I say hi, they say hi back, then the lady always has some strange thing to say. For example: "it's a spooky night to be out walking (even though it's light out)." "Its perfect muffin baking weather." "Banana bread is wasting away." "Exercise makes you think." "We all need to bond together, we need to make some love." "I always brush my teeth before I walk." "Maybe we'll get to Pluto one of these days." All of those things she has told me over the past year or so that I can easily remember. They don't stop and talk thankfully, sometimes it's everything I can do to keep from laughing after she says something, it's just something they say as they're walking by. They live on the street below me, I don't know who they are, but I always get a kick out of them. Mr. and Mrs. G across the street. Mrs. G. is a teacher, so she's always talking with my parents, her kids are cool, they're my age. Mr. G is always in the yard working... his yard is definitely the nicest in the neighborhood and he always loves to stop and talk, so he's cool. He says he'll teach me to drive a stick shift. Cool.
Posted by Mike at 4:47 PM 0 comments
Labels: Neighbors

Sunday, March 18, 2007
Sucky Sunday
The weather was nice today. We hit about 74. We had a marine layer this morning, so it stayed cool/overcast.I did a lot of little things I've been meaning to today- changed the sheets on my bed, hung some clothes up in my closet, watched the Wal-Mart documentary on the high cost of Wal-Mart (to use in my English paper), and uploaded some photos onto the computer. I washed my car in the middle of the driveway- our driveway is long, so I was washing the car where I usually do about 50 feet from the street. I washed the car, dried it, then went in the house since I didn't want the tires to get muddy after washing those since we have a dirt driveway. I came out about 40 minutes later to find that someone had thrown a rock at my driver's windshield. The rock was resting on the windshield wiper. Thankfully they rock hit at the top stripping of the windshield and left a pretty good mark in that, but hit it in the right place for it to crack in 2 different directions. We called the Sheriff and they came out to take a report. Now I get to go deal with insurance on Tuesday. Dang. I also finished writing my English paper tonight. I need to study for Enviro Sci since I have that final tommorow. Tommorow will be long! English final from 8-11, then lunch, then study from 12-3 for my Enviro Sci final at 3p.m. The final will last until 5:00p.m. I may be meeting up with the guy I posted about last week who canceled since he said he is free tommorow night. We'll see. I'm not getting my hopes up.
Posted by Mike at 7:19 PM 0 comments
Labels: My day, Weather

No I'm not a "maam"
I just got off the phone with a well known internet provider whose tech support is based in Alabama and someone mistook me again because of my voice.I hate my voice. It sounds very girly sometimes, it is not deep or manly, and it cracks at times when I try to sing. What bothers me most is I am always called "maam" on the phone. I always correct them, like I did today, at least it makes me feel better. I hate it!!! If I could change something about myself, this would definitely be one of the first things I would change. I hate that people mistake my voice. I hate that people think I'm a woman with my voice. I hate that it does not sound good at all. I am rather self conscious about my voice.To give you an idea what my voice sounds like I've been told by my coworkers it sounds like the lead singer of Rascal Flatts, the country group. If I do, I'm convinced my voice is 1000 times more whiney and irritating. My dad has said my voice sounds a lot like Rascal Flatts lead singer when I've sang along to their songs. My mom says my voice is a bit low, but does have the same sound for the mostpart.I've been told I have been told I sound like I'm from Indiana (since my dad's family is, that makes some sense, though my dad has lived in California since the early 60s), others say I sound like I'm from the midwest or south. Then when I'm on the phone calling tech support or something people wonder how long I've lived in California even though I've lived here my whole life (in fact I've lived in the same house my whole life). Apparently on the phone my voice sounds nasally and twangy like I'm from the south. It does sound twangy. I won't lie.The thing is every guy in my family sounds like this... me, my dad, and my uncle to an extent, though somehow his voice is deeper than all of ours. My dad's students have told him his voice sounds like Winnie the Pooh, I tend to think mine does too. It is so embarrassing. It doesn't even sound good. I hate to hear my voice on anything like the answering machine or anything. My cousin can't tell my dad and I apart on the phone, she always has to ask who it is, so I know it is just not my voice, it is my dad's too, but I can't tell you how much I hate my voice.I know that everyone says they hate their voice, and I understand that. It just sounds BAD. Mine is bad I think because it is higher than a typical guy's voice. It is also twangy and can be whiney.
Posted by Mike at 10:31 AM 1 comments
Labels: Thoughts

Saturday, March 17, 2007
Checkpoints
Coming back about 11:00p.m. from getting smoothies with my coworkers I ran into 3 police checkpoints. We were about 8 miles from my house down at the mall. Since they're doing construction on one street and it is closed I went home a different way. I get about a mile from the mall and hit traffic. Cars bumper to bumper. I figure ok, there must be an accident. Nope. Took me 10 minutes to finally reach the front of the line and realize it was a street racing checkpoint. There have been 5 big accidents involving street racers all involving deaths in the past 2 weeks in my city, so they're really cracking down on that. The police officer made me show my ID, shined the flashlight in my car, then made me open up the hood. Then another officer looked under it, shined the flashlight, then closed it, and I was off. I turn down a major street in my city and see big spotlights and police lights flashing and realize I hit another checkpoint. This time it was an alcohol checkpoint and they just kind of waved the people through the checkpoint, even though I assume they were pulling people over since there were a lot of people in regular cars off to the side. Then I get on the highway to go toward my house and what did I hit? ANOTHER CHECKPOINT. It was another street racing checkpoint. Same procedure as the first... get out ID... flashlight... open hood... it took about 15 minutes to get through this one due to traffic. Finally I get about 2 miles from my house and hit MORE traffic. I'm out of the city and in the county by now, so I know the county wouldn't have an alcohol or street racing checkpoint, so I figured it must be an accident. It was. A new 2007 Camry ran into a stop light and was TOTALLED for sure. It took about another 10 minutes to get through here. Traffic was down to 1 lane in each direction (it's 2 lanes in each direction).A 12 minute trip home from the area of the mall took 60. It was 12:00a.m. when I got home. RIDICULOUS. Today I'm going to do some yardwork if it's not too hot. Then I'll do my take home final for Journalism (that will take about 2 hours) and my English essay (another hour).
Posted by Mike at 10:14 AM 0 comments
Labels: My day

Friday, March 16, 2007
Sorted my tuition mess out I think
I go in very serious and tell the VA worker how upset was, all the stress I've had because of this, how long this has been going on. She said she was sooo sorry and knows I've filled out this paperwork so many times. She called the VA in San Diego then my college. She got the VA to acknowledge I exist. My college is refusing to budge on letting me register now and also because they won't have their payment until at least next Friday, so I'll still have to do late registration. DAMN!!!I'm about to go out at 9p.m. for smoothies with my coworkers to catch up on the latest gossip. My sister had her first drivers ed behind the wheel today. She did pretty well the lady said. It was the same instructor I had nearly 5 years ago.

Channel 13, KCOP is too slutty for me. I hate Lauren Sanchez... she's fake in more ways than one, she has trouble pronouncing a lot of words, and Rick Garcia is hella annoying. I don't like the women reporters on channel 11 at night (I like Nischelle and Elizabeth in the morning), but their night reporters like Liz Habib, Karen Posada, Lauren Sanchez, and all their others with their fake accents and ugly looks are the reason I don't watch channel 11 at 10p.m. They're almost worse than "Leenda Alvarez" on channel 2 with their fake Spanish pronunciations. I have a special place for Jillian Barberie... grew up watching her in the morning and my grandma always making comments about how cooky. I still have to watch Jillian at least once a week to see what's new in her life... I mean that is all she talks about. I think it's funny how she brings her dog to work all the time and he has his own anchor chair.Rick Dickert on channel 11 is VERY hot!!!I wish KTLA would put Lynette Romero back on the anchor chair. I can't stand Leila (Leeela) Feinstein. Leila is annoying in that she tries to sond too cutesy and babylike.KTLA needs a new sports reporter... I'm not sure what Damon Andrews says 90% of the time when he tries to make everything sound so cutesy.I LOVE the KTLA Morning Show. Michaela Pereira seems so friendly and tries to keep everyone in line, Sam and Mark are pretty funny. I am mad KTLA's new helicopter is not called "Skycam 5" like their old one. I loved the name. KTLA Telecopter... does it have a TV in it?I can't stand Jessica in the KTLA Telecopter though... her voice is sooo childish and she doesn't seem to have much of a brain. Watch her in the clip below in the white where she is filling in for Mark... listen to her voice... it's like nails on a chalkboard. Mark, Sam, Clay Aiken, and MichaelaAnnoying JessicaI don't like Chris Schauble or Jennifer Bjorklund on Today in L.A., but Rachel and Paul are cool, which is the only reason I watch them when I wake up. Chris' delivery is way over the top and he seems like he tries too hard sometimes.Jennifer needs to do something to her hair and she just doesn't seem friendly. She was much better as a traffic reporter on Good Day L.A. I'd really like to see Robert Kovacik, Kim Baldonado, Rachel, and Paul as the morning anchor team on Today in LA.I love Rachel, she's smart, funny, good looking, nice hair, great voice, and is perky, which is nice in the morning.Paul is definitely the grandpa type and I love that. I love how after every traffic report (they do traffic every 10 minutes), after every report Paul says "be careful out there, don't forget to buckle that seat belt." I love it! He's been saying that for 15 years at least that I can recall!!! This was a much better Today in L.A. anchor pairing: My dad is a big Today in L.A. fan, so I remember when it used to be Kent Shocknek and Carla Aragon, then Kathy Vara and Kent, along with Christopher Nance and Paul Johnson. I remember when Paul used to fill in for the weather. I remember John Stehlin, Danny Romero, and their whole weatherperson identity crisis, but I love Rachel and am glad that KNBC found her. I remember KNBC's old commercials that were so lame like "coffee for my mind" and "info to go," then that dumb "news, traffic, weather, period."One thing that bugged me about Today in LA was they used to say after they introduced the top stories was "The time right now is 5:30a.m. and the drive goes on right now," or as Kelly Mack would say "It's 6:30a.m., the drive turns on right now," as if cars were mechanical little toys randomly placed on the freeway that turn on automatically at 6:30a.m.I like Good Morning America... Robin and Diane are great. I also like Bil Weir. The weather guy... he gets on my nerves... just like Al Roker.The Early Show on CBS isn't bad. I don't really care for Hannah Storm though. I like Harry Smith alot. I think CBS would be smart to put Katie Couric on in the morning, bring a strong male on in the morning also, then put Harry Smith or Bob Schieffer back on in the evening.I like Pat Harvey on KCAL 9. I don't like Juggs Johnson or whatever her name is... her voice is annoying and she needs some serious makeup help. She needs to wear darker makeup to make her eyes/lips more prominent. Her bustline is great though. She's definitely been ehannced. I miss Kerry Kilbride and Sylvia Lopez on KCAL. I grew up watching KCAL and my grandma always used to comment on Kerry Kilbride's nice blue eyes. I also miss Paula Lopez and Diane Barone from KCAL. KCAL was much better before they merged with KCBS. KCAL definitely needs a bigger/better anchor team since they've recently let go of so many people. KCAL also needs to do more to distinguish themselves from KCBS so the news simply isn't a rehash and different anchors are found on different stations. KCAL/KCBS also needs to focus on quality talent, as opposed to cheap reporters (Stacey Butler, Mary Beth McDade, etc). I also can't stand Mary Beth McDade... she comes off so arrogant and that long blond Elvira-like hair doesn't help. Glen Walker on KCBS/KCAL also seems so arrogant and is not a good news reader. KCAL/KCBS also needs more weather reporters.. you never know who will be on and I can't stand Josh Rubenstein and Juggs. KCAL also needs to dump Mia Lee. She is SCARY looking now. She looks fake (lips, hair, and chest), she doesn't dress like a news anchor should, her voice is annoying, she is always laughing, or trying to put in these cutesy ad-libs. She is not a good news reader and she doesn't seem that intelligent.I like most of the reporters and anchors on KABC with the exception of their afternoon weekend team. Micah Ohlman (Paul Moyer's nephew) and Leslie Sykes do nothing for me. I can't stand either, both seem so unfriendly, I can't stand Micah's ad-libs or how he says "pacing on, moving on" or something of that sort. Then Leslie Sykes, she just doesn't seem personable and has no chemistry it seems with Micah Ohlman. I always turn to a different station when she is on. I would like to see Leslie Miller anchor more on KABC. She has a good voice, is professional, she is always changing her hair, which I like, and always looks great no matter what she wears.I wish all the TV stations like KNBC, KCBS, KCAL, and KABC would go back to showing their helicopter reporters like they used to. On KNBC that stopped after Bob Pettee, then on KABC after Desiree Horton left. I miss that. I want to see what the people look like.I think Marc Brown and Michelle Tuzee are the ultimate professionals. Both are USC alums.Rob Fukuzaki is too hyper/his voice is annoying. John Hartung would definitely be a lot better weekday sports reporter. Phillip Palmer, Kathy Vara, and Garth Kemp make a great anchor team in the morning. Jane Monreal bothers me with her cocktail dresses and her voice. Phillip seems so friendly and just a great guy... and that especially sounds true after his kidney donation to his friend that KABC has been all over. I remember when Harold Greene and Lisa Mcree used to anchor the news at 11 on KABC. I remember when it used to be Paul Dandridge and Laura Diaz on KABC at 11. I remember Chrstine Lund on KABC. I remember Tritia Toyota and Paul Dandridge. I remember when Marc Coogan used to anchor on CBS when he first got there in 2000. I remember Maggie Rodriguez and Gene Gleeson at 11:00a.m. I remember Kent Shocknek and Kathy Vara anchoring the coverage EVERYDAY of the OJ Simpson trial. I remember in 2000 when Eyewitness news moved from starting at 5:30a.m. to 5:00a.m. I remember when channel 7 started traffic and weather on the 7s, then channel 4 started traffic and weather on the 4s, but somehow channel 4 never actually does the traffic or weather on the 4's since they have too much more to talk about since their top stories often are 3-4 minutes and then it's about 6:07 before they do traffic and weather. I think "breaking weather" on channel 2 is funny... I'm surprised channel 7 didn't come up with that.In the afternoon, we only watch ABC 7 since channel 2 recycles anything I'd hear later on KCAL. I get a kick how on ABC 7 EVERYTHING IS BREAKING NEWS and they play their little breaking news sounder like the below. Breaking news is anything from a car fire to a housefire, from a high speed pursuit to raindrops on the helicopters windshield, to Britney Spears shaving her head, to when Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston broke up, to a pit bull running lose on a street in South Central LA... it's all breaking news. Here is a sample of their breaking news:
Posted by Mike at 2:33 PM 2 comments
Labels: News, Thoughts

Thursday, March 15, 2007
I'M SOOOOOOOOOOO UPSET!!!
I have to rearrange my schedule next quarter if I want to do the internship next quarter. Tonight I logged into the course registration website for my college and clicked on my current classes. THERE WERE NONE LISTED!!! DAMN! I've been dropped from all my classes!!! I've fought with the VA office about this since they're the ones paying my tuition and they keep saying they have no record I'm in college. DANG! Registration for next quarter is now closed, so I'll have do make up registration and that's 3 days before the new quarter starts, which means I'm going to have some serious problems getting my internship to fly for next quarter. DAMN! I HATE MY COLLEGE SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!! THIS ONLY ADDS TO IT!!! I HAVE THE VA OFFICE!!! I have filled out the forms many times, faxed them, filled them out in person, mailed them in, what more do they expect? My parents and I can't afford $2,400 or someting for tuition next quarter since my tuition has always been paid its not something we save up for. Even if I were to pay it, I couldn't register until make-ups. DAMN!!! WHY ME?!?!?!?! So much for a great day I was having. I'm going to go outside for a LONG walk... a REALLY LONG WALK... and calm down.
Posted by Mike at 6:44 PM 0 comments
Labels: School, Thoughts

Senior year of high school and lunch meeting today
Senior year of high school and lunch meeting todayMy day was GREAT. We had a potluck lunch meeting at school. We discussed new changes in the way we're tutoring. Basically Loud Mouth Tutor and I are rearranging the kids into new groups without their friends, so they'll not be inclined to talk and will get more work done/ask questions. We arranged 1 class on Tuesday and they were a dream today. So we spent the lunch meeting arranging all of the other classes (with the exception of the sophomores who are doing great already). We also talked about high school, which I'll share below.For the lunch I brought the main course- my grandma's homemade pork chops and potatoes. They were a big hit with all the tutors and teachers. They want me to bring them next month. It's not my turn to bring the main course next month. It is Loud Mouth's turn.I was supposed to meet up with a guy I met online today for coffee and maybe more, but he sent me an e-mail this morning saying he canceled. Oh well. I'm kind of bummed, we'll get together eventually I guess. I was looking forward to it.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Here is the other stuff talked about during the meeting:All of us tutors taled about how we miss high school. I haven't had a great college experience, don't have people to hang out with, stuff like that, but in high school everything was different. My coworkers and I were talking to the head of the program I tutor for, we all had her 5th period, senior year of high school. She was asking us how all the kids were doing, then we were telling her, then told her how we miss senior year, high school in general, and stuff like that. I thought I'd tell some things about my high school experience that made it fun. Here is the stuff we talked with the advisor as we were reminiscing...Every weekend my friends and I were at the movies/bowling/hanging out... always doing somethingI talked about how my friends were the reason I took honors/AP courses. I took 2 honors classes freshman year, met a cool group of people, then took AP and a whole bunch of honors classes with them throughout high school. I probably would have never taken AP classes if it weren't for them, but I didn't want to not get to be with these people. So I took the AP courses, did well in them, still had time to hang out, stuff like that, we all had the same classes pretty much, so we were always together. We're still pretty close today.BOWLING: that was our thing... at least once a month 5-6 of us would go cosmic bowling from 9-11p.m. or 11-1a.m. during our senior year. Cool shoes, good music, making fun of our lack of bowling skills. I miss that soooooo much!!! Bowling... that's actually my excuse I use to get out of the house now sometimes to do things...Columbas Days: yes... senior year... it all started after Columbas Day. We got a day off from school for Columbas Day, then one kid, J from my AP lit and 5th period decided we needed more Columbas Days... so we took many Columbas Day holidays. We'd go to school, go to 1st and 2nd period, then ditch. Once we went on a picnic to the park and played baseball, then another time to the beach. We only had 2 or 3 Columbas Days, but they were very cool. I was scared to death I'd get caught each time, especially since my sister went to the school with me.5th period... it was a total different group of kids who I'd known for years than the friends I mentioned above in my AP/Honors classes. 5th period was so fun and the only class I didn't have with my AP/Honors friends. I knew all the kids in the class though. Everyone was in that class... like Loud Mouth Coworker and 3 of my other coworkers... she is exactly like she was back then... loud... obnoxious. There were many personalities and everyone was so different, yet we all got along. J would always ditch, then call one person in the class asking if we wanted food, then bring back Subway, McDonalds, Starbucks, or something for everyone and we'd pay them... it was sooooooooooooooooooooooo fun. Then J would always tell the teacher that she really ditched 4th period, then called all of us in 4th period asking if we wanted anything, so she shouldn't be marked absent. The teacher would mark her absent everyday though, J eventually got suspended for too many absences/ditching. J's dad took away her car eventually and then it stopped... took about 20 times of her bringing food back though... I think it was the 3rd suspension from class that did it. But 5th period was seriously the funnest time. We would always make fun of each other, we knew about each other's personal lives... stuff like that. We did our work, talked, made fun of each other, fun stuff, and still managed to do a lot of learning. There were like 24 of us in the class and at Christmas we bought a small gift for each other because we were that close. I remember giving out those Lifesaver story book things. Almost every one of them is going to a 4 year college, then the 5 who didn't are going to next year.- AP Spanish... I loved the teacher, all my friends were in the class, I loved sitting next to E and talking about all of the drama in her life with her boyfriend, laughing randomly, then the teacher asking us what was going on. - newspaper... that was the 2nd best class ever and the teacher was very cool always buying us pizza and drinksOther highlights from my senior year that were not discussed:- bought my first lottery ticket: It was my 18th birthday and we went to the liquor store across from my grandma's house. It was kind of one of those things... so you're 18, what are you going to do? My friend suggested get a lottery ticket, we got in the car, went, got one, then that was that. I bought a $5 quick pick. I didn't win. In fact, none of the numbers were on my quick pick I saw in the paper the next day.- smoked my first cigarette: after like 10 of us turned 18, it seemed like the thing to do/try since everyone always told you no, but we were all curious. It was probably like March of senior year after school. One kid bought the cigarettes and we went to the park, sat around in the car with the doors open and passed them around, then tried smoking them. I kind of got a buzz from doing it, but seriously after watching my grandpa smoke thought it'd be easy, but it wasn't... maybe it was sheer nervousness/embarrassment... but anyways... I remember taking like 50 drags of the cigarette, not really sure what to do. I was scared going home after picking up my sister that she'd smell smoke on me... she didn't... whew! With that said, let me make it clear... I don't smoke now.- went to my first porn shop: it was about a month after I turned 18 and another kid had just turned 18, so he wanted to go. I remember it being a cloudy day and both of us being VERY nervous. I drove and we went to the only porn shop in the city. We walked in, the guy at the counter didn't question us about our age or ask to see our IDs. We walked around... didn't go to the video booths because we didn't know what they were, but looked at the porn mags... the kid I was with bought 1. We both bought cock rings though. Those hurt like HELL putting them on and taking them off I found out when I got home, especially if they're made out of rubber, like those were. I wish the kid, or myself had been more daring at the time and I suggested we try putting them on or something and seeing how they work. I do remember the car ride back to school being really awkward and we didn't talk. I remember being really late to pick up my sister from school (the same school) because of our field trip to the porn shop.Ok... you're shocked about the couple things above, but there were a couple curious personalities in the group of people I hung out with. They were good kids, actually the kids I'm talking about all went to the church I used to go to, they were just curious, like me, so we did try some things like smoking and going to a porn shop. I would have probably done it all anyways, even without my friends around. My friends are now all away at good, well known colleges, like SDSU, UCSD, Berkeley, and UCLA.My grades were actually highest in my senior year of high school. I had a 4.3GPA first semester and a 4.1 second semester. My parents never knew and they aren't going to find out. Really I'm shocked that my parents never said anything about the absences on my report card when it showed those, so maybe they did know, but didn't say anything.
Posted by Mike at 2:46 PM 1 comments
Labels: Guys, Memories, My day, Work

Wednesday, March 14, 2007
Movies I want to see...
Far From Heaven--- Julianne Moore plays Cathy Whitaker, a Connecticut housewife, whose seemingly idyllic life slowly falls apart. Her husband, Frank (Dennis Quaid) is a closet homosexual and alcoholic who tries to deny and overcome his sexuality, but eventually leaves her for another man. Meanwhile, she befriends her black gardener, Raymond Deagan (Haysbert), despite the racism and disapproval of the townspeople. Ryan Ward plays the Whitakers' son.--- Has anyone seen this???American GraffitiLA ConfidentialIn Good Company
Posted by Mike at 8:37 PM 0 comments
Labels: Movies, Thoughts

I got an internship!!!
Yes... the above says it. I blogged about getting a response about an internship, today I had the interview. I was only asked 2 questions- the guy (a grad student at my college) told me about the internship, then asked if I want it and said he'd give me preferential treatment basically since we go to the same college. Then he asked what I wanted to do with Journalism/Public Relations/Communications and he said that's cool and that's a lot of what goes on in the office I may be interning at. They want me to interview Spring quarter or fall quarter.Me all dressed up this morning for the interview. Note: Can you see the 5 o'clock shadow, even though I just shaved?I had my serious doubts about making it to the interview though. There was traffic everywhere. There was an accident on both of the freeways I was planning to take. I know surface streets well, so I had to reroute through the industrial section of town and kept getting annoyed there were big trucks all over coming out of every driveway. Then I made my way to the city the interview was in and went through the bad area of town. It is just a poorer area and a lot of violence, but that doesn't bother me... I can handle myself... I know what to do and what not to do. The only thing that really bothers me about that area is that there are always people everywhere walking and don't know how to use the crosswalk, so of course you have to slow down and stop anytime a pedestrian crsosses the street. I do know I saved about 30 minutes by not having to take the freeway. I got to the interview at 11:20 and it was scheduled for 11:30.I got out of the interview by 11:40, then for getting the internship, I treated myself to my favorite Mexican Food place in San Bernardino. A taco, 2 enchiladas, rice, and an extra large Dr. Pepper. I sat down, ate, then made it back to school by 1.I have a break until 4p.m. and I don't have anything planned except be lazy... update some stuff on my myspace and facebook, then add some new pics of myself to those sites if I uploaded them to my laptop, which I think I did.Last night was quite fun after work. I wasn't planning on doing anything... in fact I was quite content at home. I cleaned the bathroom, swept and mopped the kitchen floor since I broke a plate on accident, then my dad and I pruned the palm trees in the backyard. I got a call about 7:00p.m. from a friend who lives in Arizona now, but was visiting his sister for Spring Break. He called me up to say he was here and wanted to hang out right then if I could. I said sure. We hung out at his dad's house playing video games for a few hours and got a little tipsy in between. It was quite fun. I called it a night about 11:00p.m. since I had to be up at 6:15 this morning.
Posted by Mike at 2:04 PM 2 comments
Labels: My day, My future, School

Tuesday, March 13, 2007
My sister is getting her permit, stop signs, and more
My sister is getting her permit today... if she can pass the test. I'm scared... she's going to be driving. She has NO experience whatsoever... NONE... at least when I was getting my permit I had at least driven (in the driveway and on the road)/wanted to drive a car/was willing to learn. My sister... not so much. I know I was really careful and am still really careful while I drive. My sister... I'm not so sure. I'm worried about my parents cars... both are relatively new cars... a 2004 and a 2005 and they are both their first brand new cars in 30+ years of marriage. I really hope my parents don't trust my sister to drive their cars when she first starts out and until she has been driving for a while. She'll probably be driving my car too I'm betting... that's going to suck... she's 8 or 9 inches shorter than me. I'm 6 foot exactly. I am tall so I drive with the seat pretty far back, she'll probably move my seat so it is on top of the steering wheel. Then comes the problem that you can never get the seat comfortable after someone repositions it. I hope they make her practice/learn ONLY in the car she is going to get to drive... a big 1991 spaceship as I call it. It's a shame I'm more worried about the cars than my sister. I'm really big about the cars looking good though. My parents will be there... they can help her...The neighbor... the Christian who can't drive really pisses me off. She has been on the county to install stop signs because she's worried someone will come crashing through her house since it is at the end of the street and is at the bottom of the hill. People drive like crazy down and have crashed into the house she lives in before she moved there. So her fears are grounded. Yesterday the county put in 5 stop signs I counted in the residential area I live in because of her. My mom talked to the county workers who were installing them since she wanted to know why all of them were going up. The county workers were eager to point out it was the "crazy lady at the bottom of the hill." People do speed on our street, but people speed everywhere. My street is not long... it's maybe an 1/3 of a mile long and people do go 50 down it. There are 3 warning signs from the time you turn on our street warning of the "stop ahead" at the bottom of the hill where this lady lives. This lady... she doesn't stop, so she expect others to. I saw was behind her this morning after taking my sister school. She didn't stop at HER stop sign in front of her house this morning AT THE STOP SIGN SHE WANTED INSTALLED. She expects others to... but not her... no hun doesn't work that way. She threw a fit apparently the county workers told my mom when she found out they were putting a stop sign on her property. They also painted stop on the street as you can see at all the stop signs, which made her mad. It was alright until she found that out AND that there was a sign on her property. Good. I'm glad it's there. I hope her home value goes down now. I hope the sign is an eye sore for her. I'm hypocritical of this lady, but gaah, she gets on my nerves. She has nearly hit me at least a dozen times. In fact, now that the stop sign is there and at her stop sign they put a red flashing light with it to warn you there is a stop. I feel like being mean and driving down the hill fast, then slamming on my brakes, honking my horn, just to piss her off and scare her. Though I hate to use my brakes for something like that, I think just for me to be satisfied I'm going to have to do that a few times.Normally wouldn't post a photo like this... but I don't think anyone will be able to find me or where I live... there are a ton of houses that look like hers in Cali... I don't give my city or anything so I feel pretty safe... it's also not my house. And if someone does recognize her house, great, tp it for me please.WORK WAS EXHAUSTING!!! I worked from 8-2:40. Usually I work 8-1:00. I had to stay after to type up a list of students going on the Cal State Northridge field trip to check the college out, then go to Universal Studios on the 23rd. I printed out the list, then made 130 copies of it and put the list in each of the teacher's mailboxes.I GET TO GO ON THE FIELD TRIP!!! YES!!! My finals will be over next Wednesday, then since they needed chaperones I got asked to go since the field trip is on Friday. I do have to be stuck on the bus with the kids for 2-2 1/2 hours each way, but they're in high school, so it's not like we have to be in groups and only the kids with the grades can go, so that means the better kids. It's going to be fun. I'm really looking forward to it. It is going to be Loud Mouth Coworker and I going from the tutors, then the head of the program, and one of the sophomore teachers... we're going to hang out together and go on the rides together. I'm looking forward to it. The trip is from 7:00a.m.-11:30p.m., I get paid to go, plus free admission ($30 value) since I'm a chaperone, doing a little supervision... good deal.
Posted by Mike at 2:43 PM 1 comments
Labels: My day, Neighbors, Sister, Work

Monday, March 12, 2007
Emotional Connection
I don't know why I'm writing this down, especially at 2:30a.m. As a person in real life, I'm strong, I don't usually let go of my emotions or talk about my problems and emotions to others. I like to deal with stuff on my own. I guess I'm writing this down since I feel there are many others faced with what i am and so I should write it down since there probably are others in my case. I love to write, I often do better getting my thoughts out when I write, than talking in person, sorting through my problems. It may not show on my blog, but in life, I am actually pretty private. If you see me at work, school, in a store, or on the street ask me how my day is, I'll probably tell you it's going good, or I'll tell you what I did today, but I'm not going to tell you what I'm feeling deep down, my emotions, my thoughts, my sexual thoughts and emotions.I discovered what I'm looking for right now is a strong emotional bond with someone. Someone who I can share my thoughts and feelings with. Thoughts and feelings I wouldn't share with my friends, coworkers, and family. My friends/coworkers are great, I get along with them, we have a lot in common, but there are some things I'd never tell them/talk about with them (sexuality). When stuff about girls/guys comes up, I always have to be extra careful about what I say since I don't want to say something I shouldn't. I always have to stop short of saying what I really feel, which may not be a bad thing. Don't get me wrong, they're friends, I'm sure they'd be supportive and listen, but I don't want to come out. I don't want to come out now. I still want to have kids.What I really want is someone I can talk to about anything, someone I have something in common with and can talk about the following- school, life, work, family, religion, whatever, where I don't have to hold my emotions back- something like a boyfriend or girlfriend can provide, someone in my situation, or just a good friend who I don't mind knowing my issues about sexuality and stuff. I'd love to have someone to hang out with, talk in person or on the phone, hug, cuddle, and share these emotions. It sounds like I want a relationship! Online is cool too, there are a couple of you guys I've talked to online who are in my situation and I have enjoyed getting to talk to you about stuff and knowing I'm not the only one.There's stuff I want to tell my best friend, but I can't. We both open up our emotions to each other and feelings about many things, which I like. My problem is that with him I always have to play straight, which sometimes is hard, and I wouldn't dare telling him the feelings about guys (even though I've hinted) and my need for an emotional connection with someone, which I'm not finding. I can't tell him this stuff right now, especially, right now when I am exploring my sexuality, debating whether I'm gay/bi/straight, but I also don't want to lose his friendship over sexuality, which could happen. Also, our parents are good friends, so I know that it would only be a matter of time before his parents would find out, then mine would, and I don't want that to happen.I have parents/family I can talk to about many things and get advice from them. I usually talk about my thoughts about random issues, my day, or whatever to them, but again, emotions and my need for a connection with someone and sexuality/sexual needs... that's a no no.Right now, while I'm trying to make more friends/find more peopel to hang out with, talk with, or whatever and am making a great effort to do so. Anyways, part of the reason for that is I want someone that I have something in common with to talk to, to be able to talk to and explore my emotions. I want someone that I have something in common with, someone I can comfort, someone who can comfort me to talk about problems we're facing without having to worry about sexuality.I don't know if I'm going to come out and when. For me, I want to live the American Dream. I want to have a wife, a house, a picket fence, 2 cars, and 2.5 kids. To me this still represents happiness and success. I'm not sure I want to let go of that. I want kids... my own offspring.Yes- family is one of the reasons I don't come out, but honestly is not my biggest deterrent. I'm worried how my mom, extended family, sister, and stuff like that would react, but will worry about that later. That's not my big issue right now. My big issue right now is my want/need for more frienships/emotional connections with someone. I'm young, maybe I just want to explore sexuality right now. I have years to go to still explore these issues before deciding to settle down and come out if I want to.I guess that with this blog I'm not afraid to come out and say what I feel. I guess for me, this blog will hopefully help me reconcile and come to terms with my sexuality, whatever path I decide to take. I guess I'm ok with letting my emotions go here because I don't feel like I'm forcing my emotions on anyone- it is by choice... if you care to read what I write... fine. Cool. I'm glad. I guess I also like that I'm sure there are others with me in my situation, so by writing this, can meet people who feel the same way I do. I feel that I don't have to worry about what I say here and so I can deal with my emotions.Update: I realized how depressing this post was. I was sitting in English today after I posted it and all I could think about was this post I had made. It was depressing. I'm over it now though.
Posted by Mike at 12:01 PM 1 comments
Labels: Thoughts

Monday, March 12, 2007
Today so far and what I have planned
I woke up at 1:40a.m. this morning when the neighbor's dumb moppy dog next door started barking. That dog will bark FOREVER and nonstop at nothing at all, so I just wanted to stop him. I think I blogged about him last month when he barked about 10 minutes, then I ended up throwing a rock against the neighbor's house to get their attention, so they would get mad and tell the dog to hush. Anyways, I get up, go outside, break off a stick from the neighbor's Chinaberry tree, then take my flashlight, turn it on and threw the stick at the dog. I didn't hit him, but he yelped, then was quiet. Thankfully I didn't have to do all that I did last time.I went back in the house, fell right asleep, but woke up at 2:30a.m. with a good idea for a blog and some stuff I've been thinking about. I actually got up and got on the computer, and wrote it out. I had this weird feeling when I woke up and actually just tried to fall back asleep, but honestly I feel this is one of those times God told me to get up and write it out. I may post it later if I think what I wrote was relevant or made any sense. At 2:30a.m. I'm not sure. At least, after I wrote it, I fell right back asleep.I'm going to go to school today until 5:00p.m. I also want to hit the gym tonight. I have to write a story for my journalism class.It's going to be 97 TODAY!!! It is 78 at 7:50a.m.!!!! I made the mistake of putting on blue jeans and a blue shirt. I am too lazy to go switch into shorts... that requires getting into the dresserI also plan to go to Sears tonight to buy new black dress pants for an interview Wednesday. Everyone in the family has their own laundry basket. Mine is black, my dad's is green. My dad insists on doing the wash for everyone, so I let him, though many times I wonder why. That's a whole 'nother post. Anyway, often my mom's clothes will end up in my closet (since when do I wear a red silky blouse or leopard print blouse?) My dad has a habit of putting my pants in his closet or my Hawaiian and button down shirts, then I don't discover that until he has worn them and stretched them out. My dad's build is completely different than mine. I can't find my pants. I think they probably ended up in my dad's closet, which means I'll never see the pants again, despite the fact he does everyone's laundry separate, things still manage to disappear. I went through my dad's closet and there are so many pairs of black pants and they all look the same. I looked at tags, brands, and still didnt find minne. I can't wear his pants... I'd look like a bag.
Posted by Mike at 7:52 AM 0 comments
Labels: My day, School, Weather

Sunday, March 11, 2007
Lots of news on the guy front...
I updated my gay.com profile last night. I didn't put a face pic in it because I'm not out, just a chest picture. I do know about 5 of the guys on there from high school, and don't want them to suspect anything about me, plus there is always the chance of a kid at the school I tutor at finding me. One of the kids I tutored last year who I always suspected was gay is and I saw him on there. He sent me a message on there today telling me I had a nice body, I sound interesting, and he wants to hang out. I have yet to respond. I really don't think I will. Especially because his best friend is B, one of my coworkers. Second, talked to a guy who I've been chatting online with since maybe November who found me on some site I have a membership to. We're going to *try* to meet Thursday after I get off of work for coffee. Saw his face photo for the first time, he's pretty hot. Then I found a guy on gay.com who graduated from the same high school the year before me and goes to the same college I do, his dad works at the school next to my dad's, 30 miles away and is in the same department as my dad, so there is a chance my dad knows his dad. The kid works at my old high school in the activities office, had the same teachers I did, and is constantly in contact with the teachers whose classes I tutor for. He is currently interested in making friends/pursuing a relationsihp according to his gay.com and myspace pages. He is out, except at work it says. He's a hot guy, he sounds interesting, judging from our myspaces we have a lot of the same interests, but all of that stuff is too close to home I think for me to be comfortable. I always suspected he was gay though.
Posted by Mike at 6:50 PM 1 comments
Labels: Guys, Thoughts

California and celebrities
I talked to my cousin from Shawnee Oklahoma today on the internet. It was a pretty good conversation. She was talking about coming out to visit next month. She always says she'll visit... she has only visited twice in 10 years... She has said at least 3-4 times in the past year that she was going to come and visit and hasn't, so I don't expect her to this time.The reason for this visit is she wants me to go to Merced with her (a farm community out in the middle of nowhere Central California) 450 miles away I'd estimate to meet some guy that she met online who works for the same company she does. Thousands of Americans work for the company she does... what makes this guy so special I don't know. It sounds awkward and it is awkward. Oh... and throw in her dad would be coming along who I've only met 3 times in my life. Then my cousin was complaining about how far 450 miles is. I told her she doesn't realize that California is a huge state, how everyone drives out here, 450 miles is nothing, going to LA is nothing. I pointed out that I know she drives from Shawnee to OKC at least 3 times a week for work, that is about 45-50 miles each way, so she is just whining about driving. She admitted yes, and said she is just scared of California drivers. Plus, when she is out here she lets her dad drive, so she was just looking for a reason to complain. It's not different than me goign to LA I said, which is 60 miles. You can drive 10 hours and still be in California. I pointed out our aunt in Nor Cal lives 9 hours or 700 miles away. I pointed out we're only an hour and a half or so from L.A., 2 hours from San Diego, an hour from the mountains, an hour from the beach from my house. Then I told her that she thinks California is such a small state and everyone is so close. I was totally making this stuff up as I go along, but I thought it was pretty funny, so I thought I'd share:I told my cousin she probably thinks I'm next door neighbors with Britney Spears and we share child rearing tips. Now that Kevin is gone I babysit the kids when Britney is out partying and am caring for them while she is in rehab. Other neighbors are helping too.In the afternoon I can go shopping with Paris Hilton.After I go shopping with Paris, I can run over and have lunch with Brad Pitt at an upscale eatery.Then when night rolls around I'm out on the club scene with Lindsay Lohan.She got a real kick out of that and said yes, that is her view of California. She has been to California at least 10 times.Of course I did have to point out that I do live around a few celebrities and have seen some celebrities in person. I sat 4 rows in front of Bob Barker at a small local baseball game, Jay Leno, Brittany Murphy, George Carlin, Ann Coulter, and some others I can't think of.Adam Kennedy from the Los Angeles Angels lives about 5 miles away (I know where his house is... no I'm not a stalker...) and so does another Angels player who I can't recall. Etta James lives about 3 miles from me I've been told. The band members of Blink-182 live in the area. Then I pointed out some famous people who live(d) in my city: Barry and Bobby Bonds (dad and son baseball players), Amy Lee from Evanescence, Reggie Miller from the Indiana Pacers, Chris Claiborne from the New York Giants, Lindsay Ridgeway from Boy Meets World (I know her mom well), porn stars Tracy Winn and Amber Rain. My cousin was disturbed I knew the last 2 were from my city and of course had to tease me for that. I told her it's not like I've watched them in any pornos... I just know a lot about my city. She doesn't buy that... heh.
Posted by Mike at 11:59 AM 0 comments
Labels: family, Thoughts

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

asdf