Thursday, July 12, 2007

A quiz and flirting with a lesbian

How Long Have You Been a Heterosexual?
(It’s nothing to be ashamed of)
QUIZ!


1.What caused your heterosexuality?
2.How and when did you first decide you were a heterosexual?
3.Is it possible your heterosexuality is just a phase you may grow out of?
4.Does your heterosexuality stem from a neurotic fear of others of your own
sex?
5.Heterosexuals usually have histories of failed gay relationships. Do you think
you may have turned to heterosexuality out of fear of rejection?
6.If you've never slept with a person of the same sex, how do you know you
wouldn't prefer that?
7.Isn't it possible that all you need is a good gay lover?
8.To whom have you disclosed your heterosexuality?
9.Why do you insist on making a public spectacle of your heterosexuality?
10. If you nurture children, would you want them to be heterosexual, knowing
the problems they will face?
11. Why do heterosexuals feel compelled to seduce others into heterosexual
behavior

This may have been the first quiz I aced. I remember sitting in class before we broke up into groups thinking how ironic this was that these questions I was asking myself the day before happened to be on the quiz. I studied and didn't even know it.

These are just some of the questions from the quiz in my political anthropology class today where we were discussing sex and gender in relation to power etc. It was a group survey type deal where we were supposed to discuss the questions as a group. One girl in my group, a nice girl, always saying hello to everyone in the class immediately came out and said, "I smoke, I'm a lesbian, I have a girlfriend, I'm latina, and I'm big and proud." That was pretty bold and shocking. I was just thinking to myself she doesn't seem like a lesbian. Anyways, we started answering the questions. I started playing it straight as the girl asked me #1 and I said well, I guess I am a blank slate and was maybe exposed to a female body first and was turned on by it. Then the other girl in our group who doesn't understand English real well, but always has to chime in said that she was not sure, but she had a date sometime back in 88 when she realized she was straight. Question 2 I became MUCH more bold. I think it was because of the girl with the language barrier wouldn't really take much from the activity; but I knew that I would be accepted by the lesbian girl and my group was back in the corner, so when it came to when I decided I was hetero I said "well, after much experimentation with both sexes I have come to this conclusion..." and that caused some random flirting going on between the girl and I like what have you done etc. etc. and am I just trying to make this survey interesting... I just said "yes." Question 7 came about the gay lover and the lesbian girl asked it. She asked me the question and again I said "well, maybe I haven't found one yet, but who knows... maybe I am looking... maybe I'm not... maybe I should look for one.... maybe that's the solution to my problems" About this time we were getting too flirty etc. to try to take this exercise seriously, but also we were talking about how stupid this stuff is that this is stuff gay people are asked. But it was kind of neat I guess for me to be able to feel comfortable to joke around about sexuality and to feel totally comfortable doing it, while not coming out, though I'm sure I could have and there would have been no effects whatsoever on me as a person and nobody would care... but I didn't want to chance it. I was just having fun taking the quiz and flirting with a big, cigarette smoking, latina lesbian with a girlfriend about sexuality.

1 comment:

Queen of Arts said...

It is rare I disclose my sexuality to other students, although I have disclosed it in the occasional relfective essay paper. But it is always relieving when I encounter someone in a class to whom I can relate. The lesbian probably caught on to some of your hinting, but that was very admirable of her to respect your privacy by not pushing further and treating your hints as absolute.